Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing Your Vehicles

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt

Winterizing Your Vehicles

What do you all do to get your vehicles ready for the winter. No So Cal folk need reply - I know, you just lube the convertible hinges....

Mainly what I was wondering is how often you flush the cooling system and put in fresh antifreeze.

BTW, winters are pretty mild here, 20 F is about as low as it will go.

TIA

I do my annual oil filter change. Lube the door hinges. Replace the wire holding up the muffler. Clean under the kid's seat. Restock the case of oil in the trunk. And lovingly plead for just one more year.

'97 Grand Am 2 door 4cyl 5 speed - 162K and still on its original clutch. Dang it. I had to say that didn't I? I keep threatening my car with its worthlessness as a trade-in and it keeps running for me.

Matt

plugs, points-n- condenser look at the cap, scrape the crud off the terminals and figure it`s good for another year, open radiator.....yup green.....change oil, degunk zerks-n-add grease.....off-n-runnin`...tod

I don't do anything special other than make sure fluids are filled. On my truck I change the tires over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    What do you all do to get your vehicles ready for the winter. No So Cal folk need reply - I know, you just lube the convertible hinges....
    Hey, c'mon now, we also have to put on new wiper blades to get ready for "rainy season".
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Pickup truck, I just take it to the local quick oil change and get the fluids checked/oil changed.
    1969 Chevelle SS, check fluids myself, park it in the garage, put a few sheets of bounce fabric softener in (to deter mice) put the car cover on and wait for April.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    1969 Chevelle SS, check fluids myself, park it in the garage, put a few sheets of bounce fabric softener in (to deter mice) put the car cover on and wait for April.
    The red one or the purple one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
    The red one or the purple one?
    Red one is is my garage...purple one goes in Steve Jr's garage since he finally has his own home with attached garage

Jessie, what's winter??

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    Dang it Jesse, you took the wind right out of my sails with your second sentence. I was already coming up with all sorts of smart-aleck answers.

Back when I was living in your part of the country, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary when winter came. I kept things changed and lubed on schedule, but no special steps. I was just as likely to flush the cooling system in the summer as I was the winter. It all depended on how many little balls were still floating in the hydrometer.