Highly Figured Bowls - Your Technique

So, I second turned a highly figured hard maple bowl today. I found the extreme grain movement to be more challenging then previous curly wood I have turned. With many super light passes I was able to cut through it cleanly. But it brought this question to mind: How do you make it through really tough grain?

Hutch

Matt what I use is a #3 or #4 hunter tool or most times after watching Mike Mahoney at two of his demo's I use a P & N 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge with a conventional grind. That's what he called it. It is ground kinda like a roughing gouge on a wolverine jig. I now use a Tormek to sharpen and hone. Then make some super smooth cuts. Most times using those two different tools I can start sanding at 150 or 180 grit.

The only advice I can offer Matt is two fold: 1) sharpen the crap out of your tools and then sharpen them again and 2) technique. It doesn't matter if your tools are sharp as razors, if ya ain't doin' it right...it won't work. Or, you could be Dale Nish with a dull screwdriver for a chisel and get nuthin' for your effort because your tools suck. Based on what I've seen of your past work, your doing just fine :thumb:

I use a bowl gouge ground like Bernie says, I like the 3/8" size, that takes care of it most of the time. When I really get stuck I pull out my Eli Avisera bowl finishing scraper, and that thing will more often than not save my bacon, but my last shaved knuckle in the hole is a flap sanding wheel/disc on my 4" grinder :eek::eek::eek:

I know, I know, but sometimes, it just works :rolleyes: :D :wave:

I use a bowl gouge ground like Bernie says, I like the 3/8" size, that takes care of it most of the time. When I really get stuck I pull out my Eli Avisera bowl finishing scraper, and that thing will more often than not save my bacon, but my last shaved knuckle in the hole is a flap sanding wheel/disc on my 4" grinder :eek::eek::eek:

I know, I know, but sometimes, it just works :rolleyes: :D :wave:

As Bill Grumbine always says get out the 80 grit gouge.:rofl::rofl:

Ah yes....the 80 grit gouge

Gotta love modern abrasives!

I have never had the pleasure of using a Hunter, or similar, tool. But right now my 3/8 Kryo Henry Taylor bowl gouge is doing quite a nice job. I haven't used scrapers for my bowls, though I own one, but I may start using it on my non-fancy bowls (especially once I put the negative rake on it).

Hutch

Hey Matt, How's it goin. I use a custom scraper made with a cobalt enhanced HHS lathe cut off blank. The size is 1/8 x 1/2 x 4 " long. It is fitted into a heavy steel handle about 30" long. It tames that crazy wood as well as end grain. The mass of the handle helps.

Hutch, usually what I can't clean up with a scraper on fancy woods I can finish pretty easily with the abrasives. I intend to try the conventional grind on a bowl gouge and see how that works for me, but with a big heavy scraper I can get some real angel breath wisps of wood coming off the blade. I agree with Paul that the mass makes a world of difference.

BTW, if you like the Kyro Henry Taylor tools, you'd love Doug Thompson's gouges. The time between sharpenings is incomparable.

Doug Thompson Tools

Yeah, I wouldn't use a scraper for figured woods. But I have been wanting to get Doug Thompson tools for a long time now. My current tools have plenty of life in them, so I am trying to excercise self control, especially since there are so many other things that I want to get for my shop! Although, I am at the nub of my large bowl gouge. Hmm......

Hutch