My doghouse the wife built

Alan Bienlein

Here are the pictures of my shop. It is a 24 x 24 metal building that we ordered as a kit.
3-07-09 010.JPG
The lathe is a Grizzly GO462 varible speed that I used to turn my first project on the lathe.
3-07-09 001.JPG

They are the columns to the right in white primer.
3-07-09 002.JPG

The next few pictures are of my workbench and assorted power tools.
3-07-09 004.JPG 3-07-09 005.JPG 3-07-09 003.JPG 3-07-09 006.JPG 3-07-09 007.JPG

Here is a picture of my homemade sharpening jigs that I made with the ideas I read off this forum.
3-07-09 008.JPG

And finally just a general picture of my shop and the current project that I am working on.
3-07-09 009.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
nice tour, Alan.. now what is that wood yor using on the project.. looks like a veneer on something and its got CHARACTER:thumb: those columns look very nice and even the same shape:) the template you rigged up worked well it looks like.

It is called mappa burl. I used a vacum press to applr the veneer and I even used the vacum press to glue up the blanks for the columns.

I bought the vacum veneering kit from woodcraft. It came with the pump and a 36" x 54" ziplock vinyl bag. I also bought a 54" x 108" vynilbag for my larger flat stock. I have glued up about 50 pnls so far without a problem along with 4 8" x8" x 45" long blanks for my wood columns.

Nice shop Alan, what do you have for a vacum press as I am looking to make one.

Something to keep in mind if you have small (Narrow) pieces to laminate, I have used the food saver kitchen vacuum very successfully. You're limited on the width of the bags, but you can make them as long as you need. it works great in a pinch.

Dan

Here is a pic of the large bag in use. I have even done a piece that was 21" deep by 20 " tall by 18" long. It was the inside corner to the piece I am currently working on.12-10-09 001.JPG

12-10-09 002.JPG

12-10-09 003.JPG

HI Alan, that sure is a great looking Dog House :D

If I were you, I might be getting in trouble on purpose just to get sent out there :rofl: :rofl:

Looks well thought out and organized for sure.

That veneer that you are working on now is really nice :thumb:

Cheers!

PS, I took the liberty of editing your first post, as some of the "Attach" tags for the pictures were busted, I hope you don't mind. :eek:

Stu

Nice shop, Alan. :thumb: I'd be looking to get in trouble just to spend time in the doghouse. Looks like you're a fellow member of the Orange Tablesaw Club, too. :wave: I've been real happy with mine.

Thanks Stuart for fixing that for me. I could not figure out what I did wrong and every time I tried to fix it but it would erase everything. I am amazed at how you utilize the little bit of space you have. Can't wait to see some projects.

You are welcome Alan, such a nice looking shop, I just wanted to help you present it with pics in the best light!

The Dungeon is a big empty space right now, waiting for my SawStop to arrive, I hope, on the 12th, next Thursday! :wave:

That is a nice saw. I wish they had a saw like that when I was still doing cabinet making for a living. Alot of guys I worked with would still have their fingers today. Every time I get on a saw I always have that on my mind. I wish you could retrofit it to an existing saw.

Hey Alan, I could not help myself with this one, but if that is a doghouse then you must be the dog and you seem like one heck of a lucky dog then. Your wife really knows how to take of the dog. So does mine.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes I am! How many women do you know of that you can buy them a new weed eater or riding mower or some other tool for a birthday, christmas or even your wedding anniversary and they would be happy about it.

Yes I am! How many women do you know of that you can buy them a new weed eater or riding mower or some other tool for a birthday, christmas or even your wedding anniversary and they would be happy about it.

NOT MINE, which I found out about 20 yrs ago when I thought I was being real nice and spent about $700 for a new set of Michelens for her car.:doh::bang: (since I kept hearing about it in miscellaneous conversations she would have with friends & family, I SOLVED that problem, AND, needless to say she gets to buy her OWN tires ever since).:D

Last edited:
Well Norman, it's been going on 25 years now so I must be doing something right.

Yep, you most likely are,:thumb: 'course I've only been trying to figure out this Redheaded woman now for (47 years & 343 days). :rolleyes: I am beginning to have serious doubts that I will make my goal of getting her figured out before our 50 th anniversary, which will be April 1, 2011.:eek: I guess that's ok though, as long as I let her "Think" that she has ME figured out.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Life has NEVER been Boring though living with a Redheaded Gemini.:D
(Now Honestly, you wouldn't REALLY expect things to always sail along SMOOTHLY between two "Nuts" that got married on April Fools Day, would you)?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I must add Alan, that when I had to Retire for health problems, she was the one that suggested I build my shop, AND is still making the payments on it, (so I guess I haven't been TOO Bad after all).:D

Last edited: