Mappa burl cabinets....Phase II update cabinets installed

Really great and inspirational work Alan. Wow I find I am speechless when I see work like this. :eek::D:thumb:

Did you but the colums or did you turn them yourself? ( Added later after revisiting your shop tour.......OKay I found the answer by your lathe. How about a tutorial on how you made those colums. I like them:D)

I just love the overhang and all the moulding building up the top.

Thanks for updating this post. I watch in awe.

Are these cabinets for yourself or for a customer?

I will give it a shot and try to put together a tutorial on how I made the columns. This is really my first attempt at turning and I bought the lathe just to do these columns. I was very nervous turning a piece of wood 8" x 45" long. Finally started to get the heng of the skew on the last one:thumb:.

These cabinets are for the owner of the company I work for. We've been remodeling the house going on 3 years now. I was the superintandent for the job but last august he asked if I could build the cabinets for his office and breakfast/ family room. I told him I can do it if thats what he wants and the rest is history. Thought I was going to lose the cherry cabinets for the office during huricane Ike, but everything turned out ok:thumb:.

Well I finaly got some more of the cabinets installed. In the first photo I have installed the painted black top and the glass and blacktrim along with the custom a/c return air grill
5-06-09 004 (450 x 600).jpg

5-06-09 005 (450 x 600).jpg
It's hard to see the grill but it matches what I did for the speaker covers on the front of the fireplace cabinets.

I have made and fitted the mantle for the fireplace that connects the two sides together and am in the process of painting it. The wires hanging out the left side cabinets under the top is for the lights in the upper cabinets. I still have to paint the speaker black behind the grill in the right cabinet.
5-06-09 006 (450 x 600).jpg
5-06-09 007 (450 x 600).jpg
5-06-09 008 (450 x 600).jpg
5-06-09 009 (800 x 600).jpg

And in case your wondering Larry the columns I did turn myself and they are my first attempt at turning and this is the .6% I'm talking about.

Heres another update on the cabinets. I got the open shelf unit installed along with the 12" diameter columns and the mantle at the fireplace. I still have some more bullnose trim to paint and install and it will be complete.
5-22-09 002 (800 x 600).jpg

5-22-09 004 (800 x 600).jpg

5-22-09 005 (450 x 600).jpg

5-22-09 008 (450 x 600).jpg

5-22-09 009 (800 x 600).jpg

5-22-09 010 (450 x 600).jpg

5-22-09 011 (450 x 600).jpg

5-22-09 012 (450 x 600).jpg

whoa boy, youre doing some real woodworking over there(its a bit intimidating to show my work after looking at work like this)You have a beautiful looking home there.(is all that crown molding mahogany?)

Last edited:
Not bad at all for some ol' boy from Texas with a contractor saw. :D

That's looking gorgeous, Alan. Jaw-dropping gorgeous. Lots of great details everywhere I look. :clap:

Something like your open shelf unit would be real handy in our house. We don't have much display space.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I spent many a sleepless night while working on this project. The drawings I was given were very vague and I had to redisgn a little to make it work. For my first veneer job I'm very proud of it. It's forums like this that helped me to get this job done.

nothing like startun out easy in the veneering learning curve:) that was one big project to tackle without having done veneering before..there are many that have played with veneering that wouldnt have tackled such a large project alan.. and then do such a bang up job it besides....outstanding.. now you can go buy a new bag and vacume system that will draw down faster and take bigger stuff:) and sell me your old worn out stuff:rofl::rofl:

alan, whenever you need a bit of advice or direction, feel free to contact me, by cell, by email, pm, whatever.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
the only good advice i could offer you this weekend is to forget those texas beef ribs on the barby, and order some ribs from corkys or rendevous(pork ribs), , and youll thank me tomorrow.

Larry you might laugh at this but on this project I used my 16 gallon shop vac to help suck the bags down when I glued up the blanks for the 4 columns I turned and the radius top of the open shelf unit. I was suprised at how well that worked. Other than that the vacum kit from woodcraft performed flawlessly:thumb:

Allen you never know what you might have to offer someone. If it helps any I was making a circle cutting jig for my router and drilled the recess for the screws on the wrong side so know its scrap and have to make a new one since the holes don't line up when you flip it over. :doh: See we all mess up at times.

I wouldn't mind you sending me some ribs. I am going to the neighbors for a smoked brisket and ribs tomorrow:thumb:.