Some First's

Jim Burr

First time for a DNA soaked bowl, and first NE out of anything. The big one is Flame box elder from ebay, about 8x2.5 overall. The wood is so light colored that I did a small foot to make it look suspended. I undercut the lip a bit so the lip is 5/16" and the rest is 1/4" thick. 2 coats of WOP so far.
The little mutt is a lump of peach; I have an unlimited supply of both green and dry fruitwood as of yesterday. It's badly dried, but I wanted the experience so I had a lash at it...that’s a nickel in the middle so about 3 across the wings. I have more in DNA so we'll see what we see! Lemme know what ya think :wave:

Attachments

• Wood 134.jpg
    Wood 134.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Wood 135.jpg
    Wood 135.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Wood 136.jpg
    Wood 136.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 44
  • Wood 137.jpg
    Wood 137.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Wood 138.jpg
    Wood 138.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 46
They both look pretty good to me. The peach might have dried a bit better if you had boiled it for an hour or so. Looks like you may have made a cut or two from center out toward the rim as well. When you're trying to keep the bark on, always go from the rim toward the center, at least until you get past the bark. Both shapes are pretty good though.

Nice job on both bowls, Jim. I really like the box elder, and the little peach bowl came out pretty good for a first shot at natural edges. (They're a real test of a steady tool hand, huh?)

Love the Box Elder bowl! The foot might be a little small, but as long as you don't put just one banana in it you should be fine. :D

I'll have to try me a NE form one of these days. What's the secret to getting the cracks "just so"? :rolleyes:

Thanks all! Doug, thanks for the tip, I'll start from the outside next time. Kerry, those cracks are scientific in nature and engineered in a precise location :rofl:. Actually, I saw this log on the way to church a few weeks ago, pulled up and asked LOML to grab the little sucker. It was pretty dry at that point, but I did manage to get some fresh stuff in DNA. A local farmer just pulled up an orchard of the same stuff. They usually get mulched in a mongo size chipper. I asked if I could have a few trunks, I got 40, and there is more. Yipee!!!!:rofl::):wave::eek::doh:

Attachments

• Wood 139.jpg
    Wood 139.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Whoopsie! Can you say "TILT!" ? :eek:

I had the scale wrong; from the photos the bowl looked big enough to hold a banana on its side. I figured the weight would all be on one half. :doh:

Anyway, it looks like bananas are right out. :eek:

Jim, the banana picture made me literally laugh out loud. :D That's a classic.

Perfect M&M bowl, though. ;) (Or Smarties, for the guys in the UK.)