spring cleaning... & a Question

Ned Bulken

After my winter making cutting boards, I had a bit of sawdust warming the floor of the shop... I also was stuck with a very small aisle in which to walk around with my benches pulled out from the wall after insulating the one wall last fall. Well, now that things are slowly getting warmer, at least to where I'm not going to get frostbite I decided it was time to clean up.

before:
dusty.jpg

whatamess-1.jpg

and after an hour or so of sorting moving and even installing a sheet of plywood behind the bench (horizontally, I'm putting pegboard above it) I had this:

shopmess1.jpg

shopmess2.jpg

Still lots of clutter on the bench, but it is a relatively Organized clutter.
That section of the reflectix above the benches is where I'll be putting the pegboard. Should I mount it directly to the studs ,or should I put up a couple of 3/4 thick boards to stand them off of the wall just a bit?

Oh, and here's Why my shop is up on blocks instead of directly on grade:
gotwaders.jpg

lakebulken.jpg

Last edited:
ned, first project of the warm weather, put in that top step dude!

btw, I dont see anything wrong with the clutter as long as you can find what you need, then just push it all to one side to work, then push it back to the other side when you gotta do something else.

is there insul behind the reflector stuff? if so why have the reflector stuff on there? does the reflector add that much r value? other than that yu will need to have space for the pins to work the reflector may give enough for that part but will make the wall area wavy:eek: i would use furring strips.

Wow almost bought a house with a yard like that and basement too. Luckily we checked it out one more time just after a good rain spell. Anywhere to put a french drain in to drain to? Or are all the neighboring yards that flat?

no bart you spelt it wrong its ark not hark and its suypposed to float:rofl:

To quote Bill Cosby talking to God " have you looked in the bottom of the Ark who's going to clean up that mess down there?:bang:

Besides that all the animals froze no insulation dontcha know!!!! Some of them Drown because they wouldn't go inside to cluttered & Noah was to noisy & whats this electricity stuff scared the animals half to death. The animals knew it wasn't going to float cause when the water got up around the bottom the thing would leak like a sieve, besides that it was tethered off with a electric wire that would keep it from floating to the top. It would be just like a submarine with a screen door. Animals ain't dumb you know electricity & water don't mix.

Besides who's going to clean that mess up down there? Noah doesn't seem to be able to clean up after him self to well, Did I mention the animals.
Well it could be that Noah has hung out with the animals to long have you seen the mess down there? Who's going to clean that up?:eek::):D:rofl:

Bart runnin for cover look there comes the rain.

Last edited:
ned, first project of the warm weather, put in that top step dude!

btw, I dont see anything wrong with the clutter as long as you can find what you need, then just push it all to one side to work, then push it back to the other side when you gotta do something else.

well, shelves are on my short to do list... If I can get rid of those two shelves at the end of the shop, I get more floor space!

is there insul behind the reflector stuff? if so why have the reflector stuff on there? does the reflector add that much r value? other than that yu will need to have space for the pins to work the reflector may give enough for that part but will make the wall area wavy:eek: i would use furring strips.
with just 2x4's in the walls I get R13 from the pink stuff, adding the reflectix gives me an additional R6, so I now have R19!

Wow almost bought a house with a yard like that and basement too. Luckily we checked it out one more time just after a good rain spell. Anywhere to put a french drain in to drain to? Or are all the neighboring yards that flat?

pretty much the whole neighborhood is in the same condition. We do have a drain at the front of the property, but there isn't a place for it to go right now.
Hark do I see a 10 year project sitting in a puddle of water?:D

Ned it looks like you have all kinds of room in there you just have to find it.:eek::huh::rofl::wave:
Bart, Thanks, I'm planning on going vertical with the storage... just have to get that round tuit thing going again.

no bart you spelt it wrong its ark not hark and its suypposed to float:rofl:
Piers Larry, Piers... at least That part of the plan worked!

As to the pegboard stand off, I would. If you mount flat to the surface the pegs will dig into your pretty silver stuff.

that's about what I thought.

I agree with making it stand off a little ways, but I think 3/4" is overkill. 3/8" should be sufficient, and 1/4" might be enough. Save what space you have!! Jim.
cool, I'll just rip a few strips off some 2x and go to town.

Ned, maybe your next project should be a dock....... so you can get to your shop.
yup, I think you may be right...

To quote Bill Cosby talking to God " have you looked in the bottom of the Ark who's going to clean up that mess down there?:bang:

Besides that all the animals froze no insulation dontcha know!!!! Some of them Drown because they wouldn't go inside to cluttered & Noah was to noisy & whats this electricity stuff scared the animals half to death. The animals knew it wasn't going to float cause when the water got up around the bottom the thing would leak like a sieve, besides that it was tethered off with a electric wire that would keep it from floating to the top. It would be just like a submarine with a screen door. Animals ain't dumb you know electricity & water don't mix.

Besides who's going to clean that mess up down there? Noah doesn't seem to be able to clean up after him self to well, Did I mention the animals.
Well it could be that Noah has hung out with the animals to long have you seen the mess down there? Who's going to clean that up?:eek::):D:rofl:

Bart runnin for cover look there comes the rain.

Bart,
Have you considered cutting down on the caffine??:rofl::rofl::rofl: