Lack of bandsaw, is there anyway around this problem?

allen levine

I need to cut 12 rear legs for chairs.
I havent measured the exact degree of slant that the legs will slant backwards above the seat area, but Im limited because of no bandsaw.
I have wood that measures 2.75 inch (almost 12/4)thick by 6 inches wide, lengths vary from 4-8 feet.
If I had a bandsaw, I could slice the wood to 1.75 inches thick. I dont.
I can plane, but then I have to sacrifice 1 inch of wood. Mahogany is expensive.
I can slice it on my tablesaw, but that limits me to cutting it 3 and 3/8 wide, which means it will cut down on the angle of the back.
Do I have any options? I thought about cutting wood half through, like dado cut, then flipping over on table saw, and plane even if I need.
Too dangerous?

with the angle on the upper back of leg, Id prefer around 3.75-4 inches on the face of lumber, so I can cut it out. If I limit the face width of lumber, I limit the slant.
Does this make sense?

You can absolutely resaw with your table saw. I would suggest not going all the way through with the 2nd cut, though. Go about 1/16" or so shy and then "snap" it free and smooth the surfaces. This way you're not dealing with a narrow or top-heavy offcut that could easily land on the top of the blade before your splitter/riving knife can stop it.

when i first worked up the plans for my chairs, they originally had leaning backs. i figured i could do the outside angles with no problem, but it was the inside angle that gave me sufficient trouble that i went with straight legs. for me, if i were to do it over again, i would have a template of the leg, cut the outside angle on the table saw, the inside on the band saw, or jigsaw in allen's case, then route the edges to the template.

Do I have any options? I thought about cutting wood half through, like dado cut, then flipping over on table saw, and plane even if I need.

I suggest you buy a Freud Thin Kerf saw blade. A bit on the expensive side, but they cut like a hot knife through butter and the cut is very clean. The ripping blade is around $40 and the crosscutting blade is about $60. But really worth the money.

DKT

Freud blades are all I own now.
I have one new Avanti ripping blade still in package, so maybe Ill give it some work.

Speaking of Freud blades, when is amazon going to run the buy 3 get 15% off again?

Allen, I've done it, cutting from both sides. Just to it carefully and cautiously. I used featherboards (before the blade only...not after), splitters and pushing devices to make sure I stayed plenty far from the blade, and made doubly sure I was out of the line of fire in the event of a kickback. I had to problems with it. Just be on your toes.