3520 Tilt-A-Way

I don't belong to Sawmill, so couldn't checkout the pictures, but I think the idea is a great one.. I'm not in a position to own a PM since I have a Jet 1442 that's only a year old... sometimes wish I had a swing away/tilt away on my tailstock... it only weighs about 25 or 30 lbs, but I'm getting the arthiritis in the back and hands to the extent it would certainly help.

Here are the pics...looks like a good solution.

Attachments

• Tilt-A-Matic9%20%5B%5D.jpg
    Tilt-A-Matic9%20%5B%5D.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Tilt-A-Matic13%20%5B%5D.jpg
    Tilt-A-Matic13%20%5B%5D.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 29
Looks great. I would have a question about the swing with the tail stock in the tilt position though. Without having the replacement bed rails in place, the head stock will stop short and your swing will be hampered. At least that is how it looks in the pictures. I'd have to see it in person or have someone who has used it assure me that it didn't.

Doug, I think you're right. The tilting mechanism could possibly get in the way of turning off the end of the bed, especially if the piece is bigger than 20" in diameter.

I see Robust now has it on their site:

http://www.turnrobust.com/Tilt-A-Matic_by_Robust.html

At $344, I think I'll have to pass for now, but it looks very handy and very well built. Thanks for the heads-up. George. :thumb:

Might not be a problem turning outboard if the head stock rotates... my Jet has a 360 deg rotation on the head stock which was one of major reasons I chose it... I've only turned or rather tried to turn one piece outboard and discovered I need a better tool rest system for the future. The two piece unit that came with the Jet is a little funky in my opinion...

Might not be a problem turning outboard if the head stock rotates... my Jet has a 360 deg rotation on the head stock which was one of major reasons I chose it... I've only turned or rather tried to turn one piece outboard and discovered I need a better tool rest system for the future. The two piece unit that came with the Jet is a little funky in my opinion...
"Outboard" for me is with the headstock slid to the end of the bed, with the extension bed in the lower position, and the tool rest mounted on the lower bed.

alternative idea for swinging tailstock

Here is my idea for a tailstock swing-away device...
Make a set of 3 plates...1 fixed plate mounted to the end of the lathe and 2 plates that allow for pivoting. One set of hinges allows for swinging vertically between plates one and two. The other set of hinges between plates 2 and 3 allow for horizontal swing. Plate 3 also has a plywood bed extension mounted to its top. The whole assembly could be prevented from slamming down via a spring or door damper. You'd also want to install a locking pin through all plates until you wanted to swing the tailstock away.