Blum Tandem drawer slide help needed

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Just went down to work on drawers. Have 1 of the cabinet drawers cut and tailed, love it :D. Got the sides of all remaining 10 drawers cut to size. now I am taking measurements for the fronts and backs for the same. OK here is where the fun begins :rolleyes: I take the measurements, grab the instruction sheet and the instructions say "inside drawer width = inside cabinet width minus 42mm (1 7/16"). OK that is what I did for the first cabinet. now I am doing that for the remaining drawers and recheck the instructions and notice just below the above mentioned instructions is this statement "Important: Because material thickness may vary, the inside drawer width must equal interion cabinet width minus 42mm (1 5/8") :eek::eek::eek: OK is it 1 7/16" or 1 5/8" :bang::bang::bang: Well I thru a set of slides in and clamped to the side walls on the box that all drawers are cut, laid a drawer assembly in and they seem to be OK, sorry this is VERY long but HELP, what are your ideas on this, am I OK??? I do not want to waste wood and time.
Any input will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance

Tom

After rereading your post again it sounds like you are using the undermount style. If it fit and worked ok it sounds like you have it right. I just installed a set of undermount soft close slides on my mappa burl cabinets an they also mentioned the same thing about measuring the drawers the same way. And yes your drawer side thickness does matter for undermount slides.

First thanks for the replies I do appreciate them :thumb: Yes Allen they are undermount slides and the instructions supplied with them are based in inside drawer width. I went to Woodworker's hardware's website, where I purchased the slides, and looked up their installation sheet on these and for my drawer thickness (5/8") I just need to deduct 3/8" from the opening width, no fancy math as required for the furnished instructions and that is within 1/16" of what I have already done. So I think I am in good shape. Dang, some times they just try to make simple things so complicated :eek:. I'll live to work with wood again tomarrow :thumb:

Tom

Tom, all I do is put a set in and mmeasure how far the one slide sticks out. This goes into my note book for further use. Most side mounts have a fudge facter built in.

Tom, all I do is put a set in and mmeasure how far the one slide sticks out. This goes into my note book for further use. Most side mounts have a fudge facter built in.

That makes good sense Al, thanks. Measuring them that way is how it does works out :thumb: Never building drawers before, a little discripencies in furnished directions, and me WAY over thinking something really quite simple (dang rookie anyway :p) made for a moments panic attack :eek: Well anyway alls well in my drawer world and its time to finish them THANKS :thumb:

Tom