Thread: Entry door rail and style bit set

Entry door rail and style bit set

I'm thinking about building some french doors for our entry way. I have a PC 7518 router, need to build a table for it, Woodpecker PRL, and Incra LS positioning fence. What set have you, that build doors, found works well. I'm thinking the doors will be standard 1 3/8" thick. I will want to have beveled glass cut to insert instead of wood panels.
    On the same subject, what would be a good species of wood to use? White Oak comes to mind, but wonder if something else would be more stable.
    Thanks for any ideas you can provide! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Well, I can't really answer your question...

Being a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to doors. I would encourage you to use a tenon or some other system (I believe Tod Evans has a good one) for entry doors. For the glass, you definitely need the ability to replace panes, either with removable stops on one side or with more old style glazing putty. White oak is a good choice, along with mahogany, and I would imagine, mesquite. The only other thing you might want to consider is making the door 1 3/4" thick, as thats the standard for exterior doors. While the thickness doesn't matter as such, I've found that non standard thicknesses limit my hardware choices, especially if I'm looking for something not available at the local BORG. I have had good luck getting replacement parts from both Baldwin and Schlage when the door is too thick, or the backset is wrong, etc.

Can't wait to see some photos!

John

Thanks John. After reading your note, I went back and re-read my post. I was not clear at all. These are actually interior doors from the entry/foyer to the family room, that's why I said 1 3/8". At least I think that's the normal interior door thickness. Anyway, thought I'd clear that up. And my wife just got off the phone with one of our doggy foster families, and was talking about us doing this. We are being offered a set of french doors without a frame. She is going to measure them and let us know the size to see if they will even fit, so my new tool may not happen. This is the same family that is giving me a 6" jointer! Guess they have more stuff than they need! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

that sounds like a pretty good deal on both counts!

You're right, 1 3/8" is standard for interior doors. They tend to hold up better with stub tenons and dowels too, not being exposed to the elements on one side and climate control on the other.

John

Doesn't CMT or Freud now make a door set for the router that you can do true tenons on?

freud advertises one....but i haven`t tried it? another species of wood to throw into the mix is "c & better" pine....the large majority of interior doors are made with either c & better or radiata pine `cause they match off the shelf mouldings for color-n-grain....
    john`s right about using removable glass stop......for interior use glazing putty isn`t the best solution.
    don`t forget to introduce lotsa glue into the "boards" you make your rails-n-styles out of! if you use solid there`s an 85-99% chance of the doors warping...good luck! and keep us posted on your progress......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]