Serving tray with marquetry and inlay

Dewey Torres

My latest project is the Integrated Missile Defense Logo at my command done in marquetry with custom inlay all the way around it. The top part of it is black walnut and the bottom is African mahogany.

It was made to hold coffee and tea items. The cylinder holds stir sticks which was my first turning with a tenon that had to fit perfect.... it did! I used mirror coat to seal the marquetry and wiping varnish sealed with shellac. I wasn't crazy about the finish but turning has me looking at finishes in a different light so I guess I can let it slide.

Last pic is the original I was working from.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• ffw1162.jpg
    ffw1162.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 87
  • fww1163.jpg
    fww1163.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 68
  • fww1167.jpg
    fww1167.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 68
  • fww1169.jpg
    fww1169.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 61
  • JFCC-IMD-Logo-200.jpg
    JFCC-IMD-Logo-200.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Wow Dewey the tray is beautiful. I think it is great you fell into the vortex as the stir stick holder is a perfect complement to your flat work, congratulations on a job well done!

Nice work Dewey I really like the banding did you make it also and if so what did you use. I would love to put that on one of my Organ cases.
Jay

Jay,
How much do you think you need? I have extra we may be able to send to you. Do you have a drum sander? I always leave it thick and use the drum sander to sneak up on a good fit.