All you need is Money!

Look out Norm Abram, I think you have been out done:bow::thumb:!Obviously a lot of thought went into this shop.:huh: If I remember correctly he said he was in the healthcare field and mainly delt with alot of woodworkers. He could take all of the ideas he has seen and refine them and not make the same mistakes others have made:bang:.Would I love to have a shop like that, MOST DEFINITELY. Do I need a shop that well equiped, probably not. He is like me in that he doesn't like a dirty shop.Mine is not as highly organized as his but it will get there someday:thumb:.

I agree that it was layed out very well and I'd probably do the same if I had that luxury. Had a few more hand drills and sandpaper than I'd keep on hand, but to each their own.

I agree that it was layed out very well and I'd probably do the same if I had that luxury. Had a few more hand drills and sandpaper than I'd keep on hand, but to each their own.

He wasn't hurting for hammers either ;-) Let's see; lives in San Diego, Works wood for a living and can obviously afford to, must be like heaven.

I feel real good now about the purchase of my Grizzly Go 462 lathe:thumb: because out of curiosity I went to Laguna's website to look around and their platinum 1643 lathe is identical to mine only mine was half the price.:eek:.

Fantastic. There wasn't a thing in the Video that turned me off, (except maybe his Tool BRAND Choice.:rofl::rofl:

Excessive, maybe, but I can certainly think of MANY folks that spend a lot more on their hobby than he has invested, and in hobbies that don't produce ONE thing of value to anyone except those people and companies that receive their money to do those expensive hobbies.

Obviously, he loves woodworking and has spent years working to earn the money to build and equip that shop and and as he said he has been working on it and collecting his tooling for 15 years. He worked for it, he wanted it, it harms no one and it can produce something of value to him and others, so what's NOT to like about that?????

I wouldn't even mind having his sandpaper stock, since I absolutely HATE to be in the middle of a project and have to stop and go get more supplies.:(

I will never own a shop like that, but I certainly would IF I could.:thumb:(I might want to raise the tools & benches an inch or so though).:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wish I could figure out HOW to lay my shop out. That guy has all the toys but where did he do assembly work or did I just miss it? When I start making cabinets ALL spare space just disappears! Poof! Just like that!:D He also had a great DC system. It did come across like an infomercial for Laguna.:eek::D

I'm with Norman...the guy obviously worked at something hard to be able to afford such a shop, and it's set up the way he wants it. What's not to like?

When I start thinking about all the money I've spent on my relatively meager shop, I smile and realize A) It cost me less than the guy down the street spent on his bass boast, and B) I use it way more than the guy down the street uses his bass boat.

I took a day to think about this guys shop and my comment. Initially I could only agree with Frank. Then I got to thinking about a buddy of mine that plays golf. Each season he spends at least 3K on golf fees. That excludes gas, nineteenth hole, bets, meals and the smokes and coffee on the way to the course. Then add the tools (putters balls bag and drivers) and you have a handsome sum.

Now I have felt very guilty lately about my shop (there is a thread on this board with it) more so with the tough economy thinking well if if if etc. I am sure many of you might be thinking this.

I also felt that if, if, if I had not built it there would still be peace in the neighborhood.

But as many a post here has said your/my shop hurts no one. I bought most of my tools for the price of one golf season and these machines will last a lifetime. It gives me immense pleasure to be part of the ww community and to spend time in my shop and hopefully pass on something of an ability to create something to my kids.

So why should this guy feel any different and do any different.

My friends (locals) think I am crazy, they talk about my shop as if it is enormous and an overindulgence just as some feel this guy has done. But mine is modest by any standard.

Like this guy, I have researched for years before setting up shop. I determined that dust was most important to me and have plans to take care of it to the absolute best of my ability.

Also ask yourself, what would you do if you really had sufficient money to be able to do anything you want. Would you not take care of the sandpaper frustration for essentially very little outlay.

It amazes me we see a person with a ton of wood as no problem, yet to convert that wood to something attractive ultimately takes finishing involving tons of sandpaper and time. He has simply set up to make it efficient. His sunk capital on sandpaper is probably less than 1/10 of what we all have lying around in wood.

I think at the end of the day we are all just envious :D of how well he has set up shop and frustrated that we did not do the same when we spot somethings which we could have done but did not in the course of our own endevours.

I do think though there is a balance which if different for each of us where we change a little of the challenge and frustration into boredom if we remove it all.

Chuck and Larry have made two really good points that I think are worth remembering when one looks on at someone elses shop.
Chuck made the point that if you never use a tool it will never get blunt so then why did you buy it. (this if you think about it applies to so much).
Larry made a point about seeing shops where the guy has bought all the tools more for show than to use. ( I have seen this where a guy retires and is looking for something to do and trys woodworking without being sure he is really interested).

This guy says he spends 3x 16 hour days in his shop per week. So I guess to him efficiency and safety (dust) are paramount to sustain that work.

Each to his own.

Rob, can't really disagree with you.
However, my feeling is that the shop exists to give the owner pleasure. If the pleasure comes from creating the ultimate shop, that's his 'thang', not mine.
I believe if I had unlimited funds for a shop mine would be in larger quarters, have a standard dust removal system and a second, larger bandsaw. Not much else would change. Oh, yes, more clamps.......:rofl:

I took a day to think about this guys shop and my comment...

I do think though there is a balance which if different for each of us

Rob,

I've made several gardens... in six states and on two continents. Real gardens. I've had over 100 species in bloom at once. Mostly flower gardens. It's serious work when you do it seriously. But completely pointless. Never was much for growing vegetables. The garden existed for the sake of the garden, and for my enjoyment, and the enjoyment of others who came to see it. I would spend every spare penny on them... and often it really was pennies. But, as I said, they were all completely pointless, even while they existed. And here's a universal truth: gardens need their gardener. Every single one I ever made was turned back into a lawn. There's no such thing as permanence. Those few gardens (and pieces of antique furniture) that still exist only prove the rule. Nothing actually lasts, nothing will live on. Even the great works of literature, praised for their timelessness, will eventually be lost. But...

For a brief shining moment in time, as the song says, those gardens actually existed, and while they did they were as good as I could make them. Maybe I cut some flowers and brought them in the house once in a while, or gave them away. But for the most part, they existed in and of themselves. That's how I think of this guy's shop. There's a certain hard-edged beauty to it, just as there is to mine. But everything I make will be disvalued by the next person, will eventually fall apart or be left on a curb somewhere, or be torn up by the next homeowner. Still, it's what I do. And it's what he does. Maybe it's as pointless as all those gardens. But what the heck? Most people spend their money on far worse things... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
I too am of the point of view that if this is what floats this dude's boat, then more power to him. Personally, I'd find working in that confined of a space a nightmare --but that's how I role.

I also think that even if I had the money to buy that much "stuff" (which I don't :)), I wouldn't. For me, I'm sure there would be an enormous sense of guilt/responsibility to be out there, constantly producing heirloom quality stuff at a fairly high rate of progress. There's just too much other stuff in life that's important to me to make my shop an edifice to all things woodworking.

PS - Royall, I believe the poster meant OCD to stand for "obsessive, compulsive disorder".

[
QUOTE=Frank Fusco;150229]Rob, can't really disagree with you.
However, my feeling is that the shop exists to give the owner pleasure. If the pleasure comes from creating the ultimate shop, that's his 'thang', not mine.
Isn't that the purpose! Each time I upgraded my shop it gave me great pleasure and helped to renew my interest in woodworkng. This is what I started out with scan0002.jpg When this didn't give me anymore pleasure because of working in the Texas sun I added thisscan0004.jpg
Of course this helped but I still had to cleanup every time I worked out there or the weather changed. Thats what led to the next remodel of closing it in.scan0003.jpgscan0006.jpgscan0008.jpgscan0010.jpg
This brought back the pleasure again until the rainy season hit and I would have problems with miosture and if I had to work on a vehicle I would have to lay in a water puddle outside the doors116-1663_IMG.JPG
Which brings us to the current shop that my loving wife fast tracked for me when she saw that I didn't get anymore pleasure out of going into my shop.

I believe if I had unlimited funds for a shop mine would be in larger quarters, have a standard dust removal system and a second, larger bandsaw. Not much else would change. Oh, yes, more clamps.......:rofl:

I have to agree with youon this point except I would only want a centralized dust collection system. Stuart got me going on that when I saw he built his own cyclone and I will do the same.

As far as excess in tools , well I guess I have to many also because I remember when I would build stuff like this for a living with just a 1/2 hp router, wormdrive skillsaw and a hammer and nails.scan0009.jpg:thumb:Just my 2 cents.
Haven't quite learned how to insert the quotes yet so please bare with me on this:dunno:.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: