The Forstner bit in the bottom for adding weight works well. Don't forget the graphite on the axels. Ours was about 3/16th off the deck with lacquer paint that was rubbed out. Weight was added after the fact. I guess I was living vicariously through my son. We did a balloon car out of a Quaker oats box and an Oklahoma credit card once......:p;)

The Forstner bit in the bottom for adding weight works well. Don't forget the graphite on the axels. Ours was about 3/16th off the deck with lacquer paint that was rubbed out. Weight was added after the fact. I guess I was living vicariously through my son. We did a balloon car out of a Quaker oats box and an Oklahoma credit card once......:p;)

I know what an Oklahoma credit cart is. But what is a balloon car?

Don't forget the graphite on the axels.

Hey folks, amid all the good advice, DO be sure and check the rules for your club.

For instance, our club specifically prohibits graphite or any other dry/powder type of lubricant. Their reason is that it messes up the track.

We also have strict length and height rules, as well as the weight (142 grams) that everyone knows about.

...art ("helping" make 3 this year...)

you want around 65/35 ratio. 65 being back. This seems to be good starting point from many of th ones they built in tech class.

...I second that. I was also told once that making the wheelspan longer will help. I don't know if that is in your rules or not. I just remember when I was a boy scout, one of my friends at the time always won because his dad knew all these tricks. That's just one of them that I remember ;) But I know that the year after he did this, they changed the rules because of him :p Anyway, good luck, looks good so far!

Well, looks like you have until next year to come up with something faster. You're not gonna let a bunch of Cub Scouts beat you again, are you? :D

I'm thinking along the lines of a Co2 cartridge with some type of wireless remote valve that allows you to push a button after the race has started for some extra boost to the end of the track (and probably about 1/4 mile downrange). :p

Hey, My turn...

Here's "my" three cars...
2009-kubkar1.jpg

Tomorrow night is the "weigh-in" on the "official" scale. Next Thursday... We Race! :thumb:

On the left is my daughter's car, she's 8. (at our church the girls' group makes cars also, and then they compete against the boy's club.) Yeah, it's a watermelon. My wife is the artistic one and helped her with the painting. No, those aren't actual watermelon seeds, but they are actual seeds.

In the middle is my #2 son's car. He's turning 10 next week. We found a car that sort of looked like that (the shape) on the net and used that for inspiration. I helped him with the flames, I admit, but he did the other painting.

On the right is my #1 son's car. He's 12. I still did some of the cutting, and helped him lay out the pattern. but he did most of the sanding himself, and he did the drilling also, after I lined up the drillpress for him. And the paint is 99% his also -- the silver was rattle-can that I had, and I showed him how to do a sweeping motion and not get too close.

That thing on the top is the weight. He was thinking "tank" when we designed it together, or maybe "way cool super fast speedy tank" is more accurate. But when it came time to paint, he didn't feel like painting it like a tank. These pine blocks are really light, and when you cut so much away there isn't much left. What I hit upon last year is to use some 1/2" iron rod that I had sitting around, leftovers from the axle I made for my flip-top tool stand. Sure I found special "pinewood derby" weights on the net, soft lead and other ingot type stuff. But really, let's be reasonable. A 3' bar of 1/2" iron rod was less than ten bucks. For my eldest's car, we made it a part of the design. For the other two, I stood the car on end and drilled a hole in from the backside using a 1/2" forstner, and then epoxied the rod in place. You can just see the tip of the rod sticking out of the back of my daughters car. (I did do a test fit, but not 100% of the way in, and it jammed when I slipped it in with the epoxy. By that time it's too late to reach for a hammer unless I wanted to turn my daughters car into kindling. Right, forget that.) For #2 son, we cut the rod in half and drilled two holes. It was left sticking out on purpose, sort of as tail pipes, but the car was over weight so I ended up grinding them almost all the way down, so they're not visible any more in this photo.

And yeah, so there they are. Last year one son took 2nd overall, much to my surprise, he'd better not count on that this year.

...art

ps: Hmm, over in another thread, Chuck seemed to be riding Larry pretty hard about photos... yet I don't see any photos from Chuck over here. Am I missing something? :rofl:

I didn't get to go but I made Chuck take the camera to get some pictures. I suppose it's only fair that I do my part and edit, shrink and upload :thumb:

The competitors
attachment.php

The second race (Jamison's car is in the middle)
attachment.php

Jamison took 3rd in his class, 9th over all. His best friend's car is the yellow one that took 1st, 7th over all. The picture below is of their other best friend's car that took 2cnd, 8th overall. Kind of cool that the three of them get to go to the regionals together.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are two views of the dad's cars....
attachment.php

attachment.php

and one with Chuck's car racing
attachment.php

Attachments

• tn_competition.jpg
    tn_competition.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 66
  • tn_race2.jpg
    tn_race2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 66
  • tn_9th_7th_overall.jpg
    tn_9th_7th_overall.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 66
  • tn_8th_overall.jpg
    tn_8th_overall.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 66
  • tn_dads.jpg
    tn_dads.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 67
  • tn_dads2.jpg
    tn_dads2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 63
  • tn_dadrace.jpg
    tn_dadrace.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 65
Hey, My turn...

Here's "my" three cars...
View attachment 30186

Tomorrow night is the "weigh-in" on the "official" scale. Next Thursday... We Race! :thumb:

Proud Papa time...

Between our boys and girls club at church there were 60 kids. (Oh MAN does that make for a noisy church basement, my head is ringing.) and all three of my kids made the finalists (9 kids). My daughter took 2nd overall. I was actually kind of embarrassed. I didn't think we'd done anything that outstanding in our construction, but all these people were asking what my secret was...
:D:p:D:p:D