Glue?

Jim Burr

So I'm gluing up this blank of maple and walnut and wondering if CA is cool to mix with yellow (Elmers wood glue) :huh: Any thoughts? :peek:

My first question is WHY?

If you are gluing wood to wood Yellow glue is fine all by itself.

I believe that the combination wouldn't work, but you can always try it on a couple pieces of scrap.

Bruce

I'll echo Bruce. I'd use just yellow glue, and I suspect mixing them would be worse than either of them separately. If I recall the details correctly, the yellow glue cures by loss of moisture, and the CA cures by loss of oxygen. Seems if they were mixed, they could get in each other's way.

I could be completely off base, so like Bruce said, you could always try it on a couple pieces of scrap.

That answers that one ;). I do glue-ups on most of my bottle stoppers. Since they do end up in the fridge sometimes, I was thinking the humidity would breakdown the yellow glue, as stated on the label :huh::dunno:

Good article on this subject in the current (May) issue of WOOD magazine on page 72. They liken type 3 as epoxy without the mess. Interestingly, type 2 gave almost identical performance as t3, even outdoors.
And, yes, they work by polymer strands, carried by water, going into the cells and locking together as the water evaporates.

Last edited: