Carved Turning

Ed Nelson

Thought I'd share what I've been working on for the last couple weeks. My dad showed me a lidded box he turned a couple weeks ago and I loved the basic shape, but I decided to take it a step further and carve it. It is walnut and the carving is supposed to be walnut branches. I hope you like it!

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

Thanks Guys!

Barry, I carve with traditional gouges. I set the depth using a drill bit with a depth stop and putting a lot of holes everywhere I was lowering the background.

That is a really sweet piece. The detail that the shapes go through the lid is a 10 point one:thumb::thumb:

My only criticism would be why you left the stems flat instead of rounding them?
I think it would have enhanced the "punch" that the piece already has.

Thanks everyone!

I like it...
won't ever do it myself though.. sure fire way for me to cut off a finger... most of the time when I get a cut in the shop, I'm working with a knife or wood chisel.
That's why you keep your hands behind the edges!;)

That is a really sweet piece. The detail that the shapes go through the lid is a 10 point one:thumb::thumb:

My only criticism would be why you left the stems flat instead of rounding them?
I think it would have enhanced the "punch" that the piece already has.

I was pretty ready to wrap it up. I could have probably kept going with the shaping. I had thought on under cutting the leaves too.