First attempt at segmented bowl

Chuck Ellis

This is my first attempt to do a segmented bowl.. kept it simple for the first one.. two layers of ambrosia maple, one of curly maple and walnut base with 5 strips of red and yellow veneer. It's not finished yet.. the wife said keep the finish soft, suggestions??

The bowl is just over 6" diameter and just over 5" high.

Attachments

• compote 001.JPG
    compote 001.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 36
  • compote 002.JPG
    compote 002.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 29
  • compote 003.JPG
    compote 003.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 22
  • compote 004.JPG
    compote 004.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 25
  • compote 005.JPG
    compote 005.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 22
  • compote 006.JPG
    compote 006.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
Well..... I kinda like the stripe!

But what do I know? Don't know how to turn yet:rofl: The stripe gives it a bit of contemporary flavor to me. I think though it would look even better with a little more material taken off the middle of the base to give it a lighter look. Hope that makes sense. But I do like it Chuck!

Last edited:
Looks good except, the red line confuses me. It doesn't add to attractiveness, looks out of place to me. But, you said it was a first and a learning exercise, so that'sa good. :thumb:

Frank, that all I had to use as the cross piece... I wanted to do something like this, but didn't have necessary wood.. so just improvised with what was on hand.. good learning experience.

I found this on the internet and right now forget who the turner is, but I'm fascinated by his form and the slash... I the the cross piece is cocobolo...

Attachments

• Segmented-MultiWoods-08-20-03.JPG
    Segmented-MultiWoods-08-20-03.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 27
This is my first attempt to do a segmented bowl.. kept it simple for the first one.. two layers of ambrosia maple, one of curly maple and walnut base with 5 strips of red and yellow veneer. It's not finished yet.. the wife said keep the finish soft, suggestions??

The bowl is just over 6" diameter and just over 5" high.

Chuck i think it looks great for a first.The only probblem is if your like me,your gonna get even further in to the void and that's all you'll want to do.I've only done i think 6 of them but i'm working on the next.It is just a prototype of what i want to do ounce i get the real wood.Ounce i get it done and if it turnes out i'll post a pic.Great job:thumb:
Steve

Chuck that is a good looking piece. Date, sign and keep it to compare later.

Chuck,

Pretty good for a "first". :thumb:

How did you glue the rings together? Did you use a press? Did you run them through a planer first?

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill,
I actually started with flat pieces of wood. They were planed from another project that I never got around to. I used 4 clamps to hold them together. One project in the near future is to make a press for doing segmented bowls.

Chuck that is a good looking piece. Date, sign and keep it to compare later.

Bernie,
signed, numbered and logged... I don't date pieces, but I keep a log of all my turnings so everything gets a log number and is logged into my spreadsheet with sizes, woods, finished and costs involved.

I still have to do a finish on this one... it's been raining the past 3 days and the air is too wet to do any finish work.

Looking forward to seeing this one with the finish on it, Chuck. I like the stripe. I think it would look neat with multiple stripes like that, randomly placed at different angles all around the bowl.