hope i can save it

I've been working on this all weekend and when it came time to clean out the inside,i got a bad catch. as you can see it took off part of the top.Luckly it came off in two pieces so i'm hoping i can still save it.I'll know more tomorrow when i take off the clamps.Not sure how clean i'll get the inside as i'm kind of gun shy at the moment, but tomorrow is a different day.If it turnes out i'll post a pic or two.:(
Steve

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 58
That one looks like it'll be worth saving. I like the flag motif.

I once visited an 82-year-old turner who specialized in segmented pieces. His favorite piece was this vase:

Hillard Gerhardt Tall Vessel 1 600.jpg Hillard Gerhardt Tall Vessel 2 600.jpg

He told me he was finishing the inside cuts, had a catch, and blew it up into hundreds of pieces. He already had put months of work into it, so he spent the next two weeks sifting through the shavings on his shop floor and reassembling everything. As you can see, it came out fine, and was worth the effort. ;)

I've been working on this all weekend and when it came time to clean out the inside,i got a bad catch. as you can see it took off part of the top.Luckly it came off in two pieces so i'm hoping i can still save it.I'll know more tomorrow when i take off the clamps.Not sure how clean i'll get the inside as i'm kind of gun shy at the moment, but tomorrow is a different day.If it turnes out i'll post a pic or two.:(
Steve

Hope you can save it Steve, There looks like a lot of work has gone into and must be a story behind it.

I once visited an 82-year-old turner who specialized in segmented pieces. His favorite piece was this vase:

View attachment 29889 View attachment 29888

He told me he was finishing the inside cuts, had a catch, and blew it up into hundreds of pieces. He already had put months of work into it, so he spent the next two weeks sifting through the shavings on his shop floor and reassembling everything. As you can see, it came out fine, and was worth the effort. ;)

I wish I had the patience to even think out something like that vase or hollow form! Very impressive to say the least.

View attachment 29889 View attachment 29888

Vaughn it looks like i'll be able to save it at least in some fashion.took off the clamps last night and put it back on the late.Had to open the top a lot more than i wanted,so i'll probbly end up putting a top with a final on it. I'm thinking of making the final as the torch that the statue of liberty holds.
I sure hope that in 32 years i can get half as good as that turner did on his vase.:D
Steve

Hope you can save it Steve, There looks like a lot of work has gone into and must be a story behind it.
Royal no story behind the piece just been want'n to try some thing a little different.As i'm just a carpenter but always wanted to be a artest,this new found hobby lets me have the best of both worlds.Now it's just a matter of getting better.:eek:
Steve

That is a bummer. Hope you can make it work.
Yea it was a bummer but maybe it was met to be that way for a reason, we'll have to what and see.I've already been thinking up new designs for it.:huh:
Steve

I'm sure even with a redesign it'll be a nice piece. :thumb:

...I sure hope that in 32 years i can get half as good as that turner did on his vase.:D..

I guess I should credit him by name. It was turned by Hillard Gerhardt of Cedar Crest, NM. When I met him, I was just getting started turning (about 2 1/2 years ago). He was an acquaintance of my dad's through their church, and my dad had told me about him for a couple years prior to that. I don't know if he's still alive or turning, but he was quite a character. He was a WWII combat vet, and as I recall, had been doing segmented work since he'd retired in the 70s. By the time I met Hillard, he had "The Parkinson's", as he called it. His hands shook pretty badly from the disease, but when he stepped into his shop, his hands were steady. It was like he was in his zone. He did have a funny line about the Parkinson's and turning. He said it's not too bad when his hand is shaking from side to side, but when it's shaking in and out the catches can be nasty. (Spoken as he's thrusting his right hand forward like stabbing with a sword.) He had a good attitude about life in general.