Bath remodel is finished!!

Well starting phase 3 of the house/kitchen remodel I've been working on. I've cut all the components for the vanity and have the drawers together so far. After I get some input from the other thread I'll get the medicine cabinet built and ready to be installed towards the end of the remodel.

First few photo show where the demo will be. I'll start ripping things apart on the 30th of this month, that's when Spring break starts here and the one partner is a school teacher. He figures it will be easier to be with out the shower durring this time:D Go figure:rofl::rofl: I'm going to continue the same tile from the LR and kitchen into the Bathroom. Take out the fiberglass shower and install new tile on the walls with some whale and honu (turtle) mosaics worked in. The floor will made with flat river stones. I'll have to grind the floor to get a slope to the drain (this will be the part I hate) but has to be done as there is no slope now. I'm taking out the wall that the sided the shower next to the toilet and putting in a glass wall. I still have to see what they picked out. I'll install the new vanity and run anther light over the shower to get more light into the area.

Hope it all goes like I planed (yeah, right:rofl:) I'm hoping to have it done in three weeks, may have to work some week ends.:eek:

I'll be taking photos and asking lots of question along the so thanks in advance:thumb:

One question does come to mind..... is there any way to suck up the dust from a hand held diamond grinder??? The last time I had to grind was in the kitchen and the dust was horrendous!:eek: There isn't enough room to get one of the walk behind models in there:(

IMG_8184 (Small).jpg

IMG_8186 (Small).jpg

IMG_8187 (Small).jpg

IMG_8581 (Small).jpg

IMG_8582 (Small).jpg

IMG_8584 (Small).jpg

IMG_8591 (Small).jpg

IMG_8592 (Small).jpg

IMG_8593 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
if you're putting in new floor with flat river stones, instead of grinding, why not raise the edges of the floor a touch, no mor than 1/4" at the edges, and build up under the stones? a little easier, and generates less dust. :D

Royall,

I love ya, man, but as someone who's not even halfway done with his kitchen three months in, I just can't resist:

"I'm hoping to have it done in three weeks" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, I just couldn't restrain myself... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

To start out with I'm going to just post to this thread and let the medicine cabinet die. It is all going to get mixed together in the long run anyway. I'm going to post the same reply here as I did on the other thread just to get it going that way.

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Cathie and I drove up to the project today to a have a look see. (first time she's seen it sense the first walk though) I pounded the wall where the vanity is to go and got frustrated. Started poke a nail here and there and found wood going in all kinds of directions so took my rock saw out and cut a hole about center to where the cabinet is going. I've got studs closer than 16", leaving me with 12" between the studs and a cross member between the studs about 14" up from where the top of the vanity will be. Also there is wiring running down the inside of one stud that will be in the way. It had been already planned that I was going to fish a wire from the light over the vanity to a spot centered over the new shower. Today the customer decided they want a separate light switch for the new shower light. With that I'm going to just pull that section of rock off the wall where the cabinet is going and make the necessary changes to get the wiring placed so I have a bit more room for the cabinet. Thought I had a start date of the 30th but they want to start on the 23rd now
:D

if you're putting in new floor with flat river stones, instead of grinding, why not raise the edges of the floor a touch, no mor than 1/4" at the edges, and build up under the stones? a little easier, and generates less dust. :D

That is going to be a possibility after the meeting today. The customer has changed what kind of door they want. So now I may be doing it your way. Right now the drain is under a small shower stall in the corner of the B/R. I'm going to be extending the shower clear across the full 66" wide end of the B/R so the floor would have to come up about 1"-1 1/4" to get proper drainage from the furthest distance from the drain. The new door they want is a standard slide by that is 71" tall. Customer is 73" tall and would hit his head on the track bar, so I will add about a 4" tall sill plate? I guess that would the best thing to call it for now:D I can shape some mud to make a nice shaped pan and go from there. Never done it before but I'll just find a "Holiday Inn Express" and sleep over. Yeah, that'll do it!:rofl::rofl:
Kidding aside, PM me if you have any pointers for laying mud to do this:thumb:

Royall,

I love ya, man, but as someone who's not even halfway done with his kitchen three months in, I just can't resist:
"I'm hoping to have it done in three weeks" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry, I just couldn't restrain myself... ;)
Thanks,
Bill

With the latest changes it may run over a little Bill:eek: I don't want it to because the next job is just about read to start:eek:

I feel the rest of my hair starting to turn gray!
:rofl::rofl:

Well I've finished up the first two weeks of the remodel. Bill I don't know if I'll have it done in three weeks after all:(:D It may take 2 or 3 extra days because of some changes the guys made. As of yesterday I got one shower wall tiled along with a whale mural. Two more to go and still need to install the vanity and paint the walls. It will be close but it's getting done in a timely manner.

Here is a link to where the pictures are hosted. Some are repeats from another thread about medicine cabinets. I put them in again so some other mainland friends can see what I've been up to.

Thanks for following along!

http://royallswoodworking.shutterfly.com/

That's coming along nicely, Royall. :thumb:

My sister has a non-slip bathtub mat in her guest bathroom that's molded to look like 1" to 2" river rocks.Looks cool, but it was uncomfortable to my feet.

Very nice Royall:thumb:! I really like the mural of the dolphins in the shower.
I see you like to use pocket screws also. Sometimes I don't know how I ever got along without them.

Very nice Royall:thumb:! I really like the mural of the dolphins in the shower.
I see you like to use pocket screws also. Sometimes I don't know how I ever got along without them.

Thanks Alan, actually they are Humpback whales. We have them visit us about from February through March and then they go back north.

Yes, pocket screws are great. I love the one clamp that has the pointed end that goes into the screw hole. I use it a lot and would like to get one more. The other Kreg item that I have and wish I had gotten sooner is the bench clamp. It is the clamp that has a bolt that slips into a slot of a metal plate that is inlaid into your bench top. Makes for faster face frame assembly.

Nice work Royall. For me its really of value watching this kind of post having come from a "Brick and mortar" type building environmemt.

One question what is that red membrane that you put on the shower area?

Here we have a guy with a TV show on HGTV by the way of Mike Holmes he always advises people to use a membrane but it is an orange grey type material that is applied with thinset. Called Schluter Systems

http://www.schluter.com/

http://www.johnbridge.com/kerdi_shower.htm

You can see it being applied here.

This guy calls it a Kerdi membrane but it is made by Schluter.

Now back to your read membrane whats the difference and is yours a paint on or fabric type?

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Best of luck with the finishing those whales do look great.:thumb:

Thanks Alan, actually they are Humpback whales. We have them visit us about from February through March and then they go back north.

Yes, pocket screws are great. I love the one clamp that has the pointed end that goes into the screw hole. I use it a lot and would like to get one more. The other Kreg item that I have and wish I had gotten sooner is the bench clamp. It is the clamp that has a bolt that slips into a slot of a metal plate that is inlaid into your bench top. Makes for faster face frame assembly.

That will teach me to look at posts without my glasses on:doh:. Every time we go to woodcraft loml always seems to head to the kreg display and asks me if I need anything. Next time I will tell her to get me the one with the pointed end cause I have a project I'm starting I could use it on.:thumb:

Nice work Royall. For me its really of value watching this kind of post having come from a "Brick and mortar" type building environmemt.

One question what is that red membrane that you put on the shower area?

Now back to your read membrane whats the difference and is yours a paint on or fabric type?

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Best of luck with the finishing those whales do look great.:thumb:

Rob, Thanks for the warm fuzzies! The product is called Red Guard, It is a jell (about like mayonnaise) It comes in 1 and 3 gallon buckets and is cleaned up with water. I rolled two coast on and when it first goes on it looks like Pepto Bismol:eek: but turns red after it has cured for about 12 hours. I used an clean used roller and didn't even try to clean it:D Kept it in 1 gallon zip lock in between coats. It stays flexible so if any hair line cracks develope it won't pass them through to the tiles (so the lable says)

I don't know of the other product you mentioned. This one is was mentioned by name and that it was accepted by the local building code.

That will teach me to look at posts without my glasses on:doh:. Every time we go to woodcraft loml always seems to head to the kreg display and asks me if I need anything. Next time I will tell her to get me the one with the pointed end cause I have a project I'm starting I could use it on.:thumb:

Happens to the best of us! Do you ever push your glasses up on your forehead and wonder where you left them yet?? I did once! Loml still likes to teaz about it and it only happened once!:D:rofl:

Next time you wife wants to buy for you have here pick up one of the bench mount clamps to!

The job is done. Finished it up on Saturday and loaded the tools and came home. I figured the job would take 120 hours to do and three weeks if all went perfect:D:rofl::rofl: Well, it took me a little over four weeks but when I totaled up the hours I worked it came out to 126! There were some days that I could only go so far and had to wait for this or that. The guys were happy with the work and the finished product and tipped me! They then ask me to build a small free standing cabinet built for towels to sit between the shower and the toilet. They gave me some of the left over shower tiles to use for the top. Also they have two other mosaics they want put together and framed with Koa to hang on the walls in the bathroom.

This was a great learning experience and glad I had the opportunity to do it. Now it's on the the next job:D

Here is a link to the photo album. The last 12 are the updated shots.

http://royallswoodworking.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice job, Royall!

Are the mural tiles in the shower sone by an artist named Wyland? The look like his work.

There are a couple of building-sized murals of his in Honolulu, and his studio is in Laguna Beach, CA, near where I used to live. I knew him before he became famous.

Sure looks Purdy man. Good job. :thumb: Now, on to the next.

Aloha, Tony

No Tony!! I don't want to go on to the next job.... I want to play with my lathe! but I guess that's not an option is it:eek: Someday I'll get to play in the shop rather than "work" in the shop:thumb:

Nice job, Royall!

Are the mural tiles in the shower sone by an artist named Wyland? The look
like his work.

Jim, Wyland didn't do this mural. I can't remember the name on it but he is from Florida. I believe the guys paid like 450 bucks for this one. Looks nice up close and personal:D

There are a couple of building-sized murals of his in Honolulu, and his studio is in Laguna Beach, CA, near where I used to live. I knew him before he became famous.

I've seen some of Wyland's work in different towns up and down the west coast. The last one I saw was on an airplane hanger at the Honolulu airport. Looks very much like the tiled mural.

Rennie, Rob, and Stu,... Thanks for your kind words. Nice way to start the day:thumb::thumb: