Curly maple w/ crushed turquoise inlay rim

Nathan Hawkes

This is a recent one of mine, Curly silver maple (I thought it was silver anyway, could be sugar maple) with a shallow turquoise inlay on the rim. Turquoise is a pain to crush with a mortar & pestle. Pretty hard! Finish is Minwax Antique Oil. I'm new to photography. Sorry bout the lame pics. Its about 13" by 4" tall

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mini-Nate's Bowls 044.jpg
    mini-Nate's Bowls 044.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 139
  • mini-Nate's Bowls 045.jpg
    mini-Nate's Bowls 045.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 140
  • mini-Nate's Bowls 047.jpg
    mini-Nate's Bowls 047.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 142
  • mini-Nate's Bowls 048.jpg
    mini-Nate's Bowls 048.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 142
  • mini-Nate's Bowls 049.jpg
    mini-Nate's Bowls 049.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 140
Thanks so much for the compliments, folks! This was fun, and challenging. I was informed this afternoon that you can buy turquoise already crushed. DOH! That would've saved some time. http://stores.ebay.com/GILMER-ROCK-SHOP

You inspired me Nate and I just ordered crushed stone from the Gilmer's. Thanks, and again beautiful bowl. I showed my wife your bowl and she said make sure you tell him it is beautiful!

Nathan, that is really nice, I love the wood, and the inlay on the rim is VERY nice indeed...... :thumb:

I am going to try to offer up some constructive criticism, for me, to my taste, I do not think the extra curve on the bottom helps the piece, to me, in my opinion, it takes away from the piece, I could be wrong about that, and having only pictures to look at I'd not be surprised if I am wrong, but from the pictures, I think that the piece would be even nice than it is (and let me say again, it is a nice piece!) if the bottom curve was just one curve.

Still, I've not done anything nearly as nice as that, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt :)

Super piece of wood too, where do you find such nice stuff?

Cheers! :wave:

Nathan, :thumb:

I do not think the extra curve on the bottom helps the piece, to me, in my opinion, it takes away from the piece, I could be wrong about that, and having only pictures to look at I'd not be surprised if I am wrong, but from the pictures, I think that the piece would be even nice than it is (and let me say again, it is a nice piece!) if the bottom curve was just one curve.

Stu,
I had to go back and look for that extra curve you are talking about.. took a minute to see it. It's a beautiful piece and I didn't pick up on the curve at first. I like the base of the bowl as turned, but I'm thinking you may have something, if the curve swept from the rim to the base in a smooth arc... but I haven't accomplished anything this nice yet.... it's still a beautiful piece and I love the wood and the inlaid rim...

Nathan, You did good, and I take nothing away from your worik.. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nathan, that is really nice, I love the wood, and the inlay on the rim is VERY nice indeed...... :thumb:

I am going to try to offer up some constructive criticism, for me, to my taste, I do not think the extra curve on the bottom helps the piece, to me, in my opinion, it takes away from the piece, I could be wrong about that, and having only pictures to look at I'd not be surprised if I am wrong, but from the pictures, I think that the piece would be even nice than it is (and let me say again, it is a nice piece!) if the bottom curve was just one curve.

Still, I've not done anything nearly as nice as that, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt :)

You're spot on about the curve, Stu. I looked at it again, and I totally saw what you were talking about. I honestly didn't like the bowl very much after I finished it, hence the turquoise...it draws your attention away from the bowl. It definitely won't be my last, but I want to see some other inlay work before doing another piece. I really don't like expansion type mortising for chuck mounts. The bottoms never look quite right.
As far as the wood, it actually came from Craigslist! It was destined to be firewood, and I figured I'd check it out, and low and behold, curly! I seem to be very very lucky in terms of finding wood. You should see my stash pile....

Hey Nathan :wave:, if you could offer up how you did the inlay I'm sure others, beside myself, would like the knowledge. I have the same thing planned for a maple bowl and would like to know how you did the inlay.

Mucho thanks :thumb: