Oil & Varnish Finish

I am almost complete a plant stand, that has walnut legs & aprons, with a maple top and shelf. I have read about people applying an oil & varnish .. but have not seen a description.. is this just oil mixed with varnish?

I was goingto apply a few coats of deft medium walnut oil rubbed in with 400 grit for approx. 3 coats, the a couple coats of polyurathane.. but would like to try something a little different.. on a few test pieces anyway..
Any help would be appreciated..

Doug

Doug, many wipe-on finishes like Danish Oil or Antique Oil are oil and varnish blends. I've not seen the Deft walnut oil finish, but I wonder if it's also an oil/varnish blend. I've not tried mixing my own blends...I've just used the ones that are commercially available. Others may have some recipe suggestions, though.

Thanks Vaughn.. I think you may be right.. so unless someone posts something to contradict, I will go ahead with my original plan, as I just don't have the confidence to start "brewing" my own finishes..
Thanks,

Doug

Some oil/varnish mixes: Deft danish oil,general finishes sealacell.behlen danish oil,minwax antique oil finish,minwax tung oil finish,velvit oil,watco danish oil.et.al

Some thinned (wiping varnishes) Minwax wiping varnish,formby's tung oil finsh,hopes tung oil finish,waterlox sealer, val oil, et.al

If the directions say to wipe on wait for some period of time and wipe off it is an oil/ varnish mix. If just wiped on and left to dry a wiping varnish. Both of these are very easy to make and less expensive.

Regards

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
I jumped into it last night. I rubbed it with a mixture of 3 oz defts clear & 5 oz medium walnut danish oil. I rubbed it in for approx. 30 minutes. I waited an hour, then wet sanded with 600 using the same finsh for a lubricant, then wiped it down. I checked it tonight, and it turned out nice.. no one was more suprised than me..

Doug