Freud 45 degree router bit

I'm trying to make small boxes (not for resale!) and am having trouble getting the 45 degree miter angle on my TS. Yes, I use the Wixey gauge, yes I made the jig described in Doug Stowe's book on box making, and yes I'm about to go insane. So my thought is to cut the miter with a 45 degree Freud bit (40-114) on my router table. I welcome any constructive opinions.

Thanks, DKT

havnt made any little boxes with a 45 degree router bit but have made couple chest tha thad mitrd corners..you will need to watch for tearout and use a miter guage with clamp to hold your piecer secure..hand pressure wont get it and yu can have a miscue,,not good try making a sled for your mitre slot with some fine sandpaper to help in the holding. use a clamp if yu can on your sled.. do your end cuts with a backer board, to elimate the chip out on the exit.. can do a precut as well on the tsaw to help the router work out.

havnt made any little boxes with a 45 degree router bit but have made couple chest tha thad mitrd corners.

All of your concerns are valid and I've been thinking about them. My problem appears to be that my TS is nearing the end of it's life span, being 35 years old. So $35 for a router bit vs $800 for a comparable TS is probably a no-brainer.

Thanks, DKT

I generally use a miter sled

Bevel-Sled-2.jpg

on which the side lay face down but, I do have that particular bit and have used it to put 45's on tenons that meet within the leg and it works great. I would think that it would be fine for boxes as well BUT, you will have to control your material. A coping sled

Rail and backer small.jpg

would be a good choice but a simple square backer board could be used in a pinch.