SketchUp question - simulate a carving in wood?

Ron Fritz

I have a simple wood carving that I want to replicate in SketchUp and I’m looking for thoughts or examples on how best to accomplish it. The attached pattern is what I would use as an overlay on an actual piece of wood and then do a simple carving along the lines with a V-gouge, no more than 1/8” deep. Thanks for your help. Ron

Attachments

• Carving (Medium).jpg
    Carving (Medium).jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 34
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough on what I want to do. I want to simulate the carving in SketchUp to add to a piece if furniture that I'm drawing.

been a long time since i was in sketchup but what about making the elipse then either push or pull to get the effct of the depression? save the piece as a componet and then place on top of the furniture? they are others out there that will know for sure how..try dan noren or dave richards:thumb:

heres a quick 5 minute experiment to see if the follow me tool would actually work or not

its not real pretty but i think with some clean-up it would work

carve.jpg

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I tried doing this myself but mine wasn't coming out as good as yours. Can you discribe the process that you used? Thanks.

sure thing

i first drew out a stem using arc and then i drew a triangle with a 1/16 radius kind of next to it and rotated it so it was pointing down and the horizontal part of the triangle was perpendicular to the start of the stem (it helps to save a copy of this triangle for later use. then i moved the triangle by its midpoint of the horizontal part to the start of the arc and did a follow me of the triangle along the path of the arc. i then copied the new arc and rotated it and that gave me the second stem

for the flowers i made a circle and then another circle inside of it with a 1/16 smaller radius. then i drew i line from the center along either the green or red axis to the edge of the inner circle. now take the triangle you saved earlier or make another one and make sure the horizontal part of the triangle is parallel to whatever axis you just drew that line on and move it by the midpoint to the end of that line. delete the line and then do a follow me on the triangle using i think the outer circle for the path and once thats done just make copies of the circle to make the other flower and place them where you want

this will give you the actual carving but to place it on the piece you need to make the carving a component and then place it on the surface of your object, keeping the component highlighted do an "intersect with model" and then hide the component for a minute, erase the faces of the new shapes that appear on the object and then unhide the component. you should get what i got at that point

hopefully its not too confusing, im sure theres probably a much simpler way to do this but i dont know it

Thanks Mike, that's about the same method that I used but when I placed the 2 stems together they didn't align up well at the bottom and at that point I tried to intersect the 2 stems at the base and delete out the unwanted overlays but then I was at a point where it all fell apart. I'll keep working at it. I believe I have figured out how to do the flower pedals, again using a similar method by putting the V on an arch. This will be a bit tedious. Like everyone, I was hoping for a 30 second solution for all of this.

Oops, I should have added this rendering of the antique sewing box that I'm adding the flower design to. There's a carving that will go onto the front and both sides. If/when I get the carving worked out I'll repost the rendering.

Attachments

• Adirondack Sewing Box-render-02 (Medium).jpg
    Adirondack Sewing Box-render-02 (Medium).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 27
This wasn't as bad and tedious a process as I was originally thinking. Here's my 1st attempt on a test board. I only have to recreate the process on the sewing box now. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Adirondack Sewing Box-render-12 (Medium).jpg
    Adirondack Sewing Box-render-12 (Medium).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 20
Here's the finished product. I'll have the actual ShetchUp drawing posted onto my web site tomorrow as well as the 3D Warehouse in my "Creekside Woodshop" collection. Thanks again for your help. Ron

Attachments

• Adirondack Sewing Box-render-15 (Medium).jpg
    Adirondack Sewing Box-render-15 (Medium).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 15