Cement garage floor patch-repatch

allen try to get your hands on a small air hammer to work the edge down dont think about beatin it down witha small maula nd chisel..if you havent used one of them much your gonn aregret trying that ,, the rental place should have a small one that could run off your air compressor

allen try to get your hands on a small air hammer to work the edge down dont think about beatin it down witha small maula nd chisel..if you havent used one of them much your gonn aregret trying that ,, the rental place should have a small one that could run off your air compressor

its not my back or arms, the kid needs a good workout, besides we knocked out the first time using a sledge and getting all the cracked area out.
And he was around 12 then.

I don't know how deep you're planning to go with the concrete removal, but if the underlying concrete is sound, then you probably don't need to remove the full thickness. An inch or two will probably be sufficient for a shop floor patch.

However, if there's a chance that it might A) Be exposed to water, and B) Be exposed to freezing temperatures, then a deeper patch (3 to 4 inches) will be more prudent. Water and freeze/thaw cycles are a destructive combination to concrete, so you don't want a thin patch under those conditions. If water gets between the patch and the slab, then freezes, it can pop the patch out if it's too thin. (That's one of the reasons to avoid feathered joint edges, too.)

I didnt realize how difficult my vision would make working on the floor for me.
I had to let my son do almost all the work, and I felt bad.
I wasnt 100% today, dont know why, just a bad day.
so heres a computer executive, my son, on his butt, chopping away, mixing cement, he wasnt a happy camper, and neither of us had any clue what we were doing.
None at all, sadly to say.
I listened to all the advice, but cement work Im convinced is more of an art then the simple task it looks when someone else is doing it.I never claimed to be all that handy.I just want to be able to move my tables saw and band saw easy enough.

We cleaned out the large bump, broke it down, blew out the dirt, vacuumed, sprayed it down with water(the cement saw was 80 dollars to rent at Abbeys tool rental, not an expense I thought was necessary, since neither of us knew anything about it)
We used the binding agent, and thats that.
theres no more bump, and the cracked line that kept me from moving the saw easily looks filled in, so lets see how it dries. I covered it in plastic as directed by product instructions.

It isnt pretty, and when I get to work out there Ill put up a picture and give you all a glimpse of just how bad some handy work can turn out.But I gotta keep it in perspective, its only a garage floor, and I just need to roll a 3650 over it once or twice a week.

This is a reason I dont do much work around my house.

Congrats on getting 'er done. It doesn't need to be pretty...just relatively flat and hard. :thumb:

I'll second Raymond's recommendation to keep it moist for a few days. The longer it stays wet, the stronger it'll get.

I had to get some things over the patch today, couldnt make it over 1/4 ply, so I just ran over the cement, you might see some castor tracks, not a big deal.
Like I said, it aint pretty, keeping it damp, but at least I can roll anything over it, none of the floor is level anymore, but now its even to move over.I looked up my papers from when I closed on this home, the slab must have been poured around 1951 or 52. I dont know how thick, but after an inch we hit dirt.

and I got all the bikes and tons of stuff away from overhead, so it opened up a bit inside the garage, but will fill quickly with wood.

Attachments

• wood stuff 734 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 734 (Medium).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 37
  • wood stuff 735 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 735 (Medium).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Gray? Check.
Hard? Check.
Relatively flat? Check.

Looks like a working concrete patch to me. :D After a few months of sawdust and other shop detritus, you won't even know it's there.

Sort wood piles, clean up a bit, work on another overhead clamp storage , Id like to make it pull down, expand my dust collection and get it all off the floor and hung someway.(in between, freshen up some of my outdoor stuff for summer use)

Thats my woodworking plans.
I sense some kind of urgency now that Ive been diagnosed with Myasthenia.
I dont know what to expect, how good or crappy Ill be in a year from now, so Im going to travel to a few places Ive never been but always wanted to see up close and personal.

Right after the summer, and I know my course of treatment, me, the wife, and maybe both kids are going to the grand canyon. I want to smell it, feel it, and taste it right there. Maybe one or two small extended weekend trips during the cooler months.
Hopefully, next summer, Europe, a few things I want to touch, and see, and a cruise up north, Alaska.\
Nothing exciting but its things Ive wanted to do.(driving the country in my sports car doesnt seem likely to happen anymore, so Im ok with some compromises)
I gotta do it all soon, Ive waited long enough.

Gray? Check.
Hard? Check.
Relatively flat? Check.

Looks like a working concrete patch to me. :D After a few months of sawdust and other shop detritus, you won't even know it's there.

2200 for job, 450 to rent pods to store wood and machines for 4-5 days, 2 days of removing cabinets and moving everything out, 2 days putting it all back in.

19 dollars for ready to use sand mix, and a plastic container of adhesive/bonding agent, and half a days work.

Im ok with the second choice.

It isnt pretty, and when I get to work out there Ill put up a picture and give you all a glimpse of just how bad some handy work can turn out.But I gotta keep it in perspective, its only a garage floor, and I just need to roll a 3650 over it once or twice a week.

This is a reason I dont do much work around my house.

Get bigger wheels.....:D:D:rofl: