Dovetail jig question

Paul Downes

All right, I'll let the cat out of the bag. I am embarking on my first relatively major flatwork construction. I am building a cabinet for my pen turning supplies. Today I started making the drawers and got frustrated when I couldn't get the old craftsman dovetail jig to hold the parts securely. I think it may be time to invest in a better machine. I am interested in something that actually clamps the drawer parts securely without marring the wood. Any suggestions? I might be off to the store today. It looks like an early B'day present is in the wind. I have looked at them from time-to-time and wonder if the cheaper jigs work O.K. or if they would be just another version of the frustration I already have.

Not to long ago I picked up a Leigh Super Jig 18" and love it. Just finished gluing up nine drawers last night and am very happy with the results :)

Tom

I haven't decided yet how much to spend.........I was just looking at Incra jigs online and wondering if that might be a good solution. I'm not too likely to do any major builds as in a business. I might someday remodel the kitchen and stuff like that. The wife wants some new bedroom furniture. I do have a friend who runs a business suppling cabinet makers with drawers and doors. They are capable of cranking out 100's of drawers per day, and the price is very reasonable. I just want something for the occasional drawer.

not sure of your costs on the leigh that tome mentioned but it was toms first expeiernce with dove tails and he done well with them paul.. i have seen porter cables version of the smaller dtail machine and i like the leigh better.. so when yu hit wood craft ask them to give yu a tour ont he super 18 leigh..

Well, I been checking around and kind of decided to get a porter cable 4216. Only problem is that everywhere I checked in driving distance is sold out. It must mean that the recession is OVER. :rofl: The Leigh jigs seem on the rich side 'O the tracks. At least I'm not sure if i can convince the wife to starve the kids for a week so I can go the extra bucks. Maybe I should go get another job? You got a jig handy there Larry? I might be able to tempt you with some lumber or a six pack? :wave:

Well, It looks like yer too slow on the draw Larry. I did a little more checking and Woodcraft does have a Leigh Super 12 for $219. Only $20 more than a Porter Cable and with a reputation to do more things. Looks like I will fire up the S-10 and hit the road. I might be over your way sometime soon Larry so I might drop by.........giving ya fair warning. :wave: