Im sure I never have to remind anyone to wear safety glasses, all the time!

allen levine

In a 20th of a second, I dropped a 15 inch piece of wood today onto the blade, and it shot up at my face like a rocket.
My right hand, not that I had time to block it, but was up, high and back of the blade, caught an edge, and the top edge smashed into my safety glasses(right smack on the right eye) Ive been wearing constantly since my prescription safety wear is put away for now.

I cannot begin to tell anyone how shocked I was that I dropped a piece of wood with my left hand, being so ultra careful when Im on that machine.
I was so shook up, I shut the machine, and decided at 2 today, Id had enough for the day, time to clean up and leave.

Again, I cannot begin to express how quickly it all happenned.

Less time than to blink an eye, that wood hit me
, I know all here know the dangers, but the speed at which it took place was remarkable to me. Like pulling a trigger on a gun.

Heres what I cut, that piece is how the blade caught it.

Attachments

• wood stuff 668 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 668 (Medium).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 80
When these things happen, one really appreciates having the good habit of wearing safety equipment.

I'm glad that it worked so well for you.

Glad you were wearing eye protection. Sorry for the scare. I have said it before, and will repeat, it is important for us to post these things so we all know . . . it doesn't only happen to the OTHER guy. Thanks Allen for rminding us to work safely.

Very glad you didn't get hurt Allen. I know where you come from when you just shut things down and walk away.:eek: My old TS used to vibrate (until I got a link belt) and one day I was cutting some 1/4" plywood and I turned around to lay the part on the table. Just as I turned back the off cut (about 6-8 square) move towards and caught the blade! Just that fast it was gone and all but put a hole in the exterior wall siding (no sheetrock) I mean it flew like a frizbie but a lot faster and harder. Just glad/lucky it didn't hit me!

I also am REALLY GLAD you were prepared with your Safety Equipment and did not get hurt. Those things ALWAYS happen FAST, and Dodging is NOT an Option. You handled the mishap properly too, 'cause it's time to QUIT for the day when something like that happens or you are REALLY vulnerable to making a worse mistake while you are still shaky and trying to be Overly Cautious.

Be Safe & live to Play another Day.:thumb:

When I go down to the Dungeon the SECOND that goes on is the safety glasses, the first is the lights :D

I used to put my apron on second, but then once, when I was flipping the straps over my shoulders, I hit myself in the eye with one strap :doh:

I too am glad you are OK, the safety equipments if sor the things that we cannot control or foresee.

:thumb:

Glad you're unhurt. I go so far as to be the third person in my county who just wears their prescription side shields all the time. Embarrasses my wife to no end too, an added benefit! :rofl:

Side shields always on when I might get hit in the face with something and I'll grab the full face shield when I expect to get hit with stuff (lathe, hammering or cutting under the car, etc.).

Again, glad you're not hurt and I agree you made the right choice to throw in the towel for the day.

I had purchased I believe they are called Wolverine safety glasses, prescription, with full side shields, progressives, cost me a small fortune, but seems I developed some kind of palsey in my right eye and I cant wear them now.
I never took them off in the garage, even if I was just drinking coffee, I got used to them on.

I wear trifocals WITHOUT the lines, (progressive, maybe:dunno:), and I have used two different optometrists since I had to start wearing this type, but was not able to get Prescription Safety glasses from EITHER of them. This makes it a real pain to have to use other safety goggles over my regular glasses, AND they fog up when it is hot and I get sweaty, (which is ANYTIME it is hot). Sometimes this system is a little dangerous in itself because the visibility just isn't as good, AND you tend to not see things and trip over or bump into them and it really makes it hard to mark & measure so it's off again, on again the whole time.:bang::bang::bang:

I know other folks are able to get prescription safety glasses and I really don't understand why neither of the optometrists I have used cannot get them for me. Both Optometrists are touted to be the best in this area. Anyone got any suggestions???????

Glad you got away with only a warning, Allen. You did the right thing to walk away from the shop for a while after an attention-getter like that.

...I know other folks are able to get prescription safety glasses and I really don't understand why neither of the optometrists I have used cannot get them for me. Both Optometrists are touted to be the best in this area. Anyone got any suggestions???????

I wear progressive (no line) bifocals, and nearly all the "safety glasses" my optometrist had available were apparently not workable for my prescription. We did eventually find a regular-looking pair of stout metal frames with removable side binders that would work with safety lenses. I usually only wear the side pieces when I'm doing something with lots of stuff flying my way, and wearing the full face shield is either unworkable or not completely effective. (Like running a weed whacker on a hillside. I get sprayed with weed debris and small rocks, and the potential exists for a side shot to make it past my face shield. When I'm done, I have to clean stuck-on weed debris from both the outside and inside of the face shield.) I usually don't wear the side pieces when I'm turning, since I wear the Trend face shield for that, and it has very good side coverage.

Glad to hear you are ok Allen :thumb:. You never know when something like that is going to happen and when it does and if it shakes you up bad enough somestimes the best thing to do is what you did and call it a day till you calm down. Lately when I am working out in the shop and using a tool, I find myself subconsoucly thinking about safety for what I am doing and what can happen if I do it a certain way while I'm working. It's like my brain never rests. Even when I think I have it all worked out I find myself still thinking about because I woory I might have missed something. I guess it works because after 30 plus years of woodworking I can still count to ten:) Thinking back to another post on here, I guess I must be a woodworker because after I read that you were ok, the next thing that came into my mind was if you could still use that piece of wood on another part of the chair or for the same part just turned a different way:rofl:.

I wear trifocals WITHOUT the lines, I know other folks are able to get prescription safety glasses and I really don't understand why neither of the optometrists I have used cannot get them for me. Both Optometrists are touted to be the best in this area. Anyone got any suggestions???????

from what I experienced at my optometrist, it seems unless the vision center or office deals with the line they wont sell the doctor one pair.
In order to place an order, they want the office to open an account with them, and I guess most dont have the call for these types of glassware.
It took the technician quite a while to find a company for me. that would sell one pair.