Walnut Root Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This hollow form is out of a small piece of walnut root that Larry Merlau sent me a while back.

Thanks, Larry! :wave:

By the time I whittled things down, it ended up at 3 1/2" wide by 2 1/2" tall. The walls are about 1/8" thick except right inside the rim, where it's about 1/16" thicker. The opening is just shy of 1" wide...about all I can do with my 3/4" boring bars. Finished with Antique Oil and buffed. It's nice tight-grained wood, so the finish came out real smooth.

HF050 - 01 800.jpg HF050 - 04 800.jpg HF050 - 02 800.jpg HF050 - 06 800.jpg HF050 - 03 800.jpg HF050 - 07 800.jpg

The curve's not perfect, but of course I didn't see it until I was cropping the pics.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated -

Thanks guys. :)

Funny, I figured that piece was at least 8" or so in diameter :D...

Yeah, it was sort of strange adjusting down to something this small. I've been turning mostly medium to large pieces lately. One exception is the 'baby' bowls that are the last ones out of the coring rig. It's surprising how fast the little pieces are to make in comparison to the bigger ones. I also notice that I can rough out a small bowl in just a few minutes, whereas a year or two ago the same bowl might have taken me an hour to rough out. :rolleyes:

I think you are on to something, Vaughn.

Send the picture into art shows and tell them it is huge. If it is accepted, then make the big one and tell them they must have a bad monitor.

Awesome Vaughn,
HF's are in my future as well! They look fun to do. Your piece is great as is but if I had some ebony lying around....

I was just thinking a very very slender base and tall finial with a lid would make it a gallery piece... or not???

I may be too new to even suggest such a thing. Maybe I should try one and see what it looks like first. I am working up something new to turn as we speak...

Did you run into sand or rocks with this one?

It's a keeper Vaughn :thumb:. Just don't tell it how big it is. That way it won't have a warped shelf-esteem :laugh2::rofl::rofl:;). I like the finish too, really lets the grain show off. :bow: