Show & Tell & a Question?????

Joan Keeler

These are the most recent sierra pens I made. Both pics are of the same pens I just didn't know which pic would show better. The 2 lighter colored pens are made out of spalted taramind and the 2 darker ones are a burl.

My question for all of you woodturners and woodworkers is what type of dust mask do you prefer??? and why??? what ones worked for you and what ones didn't. After completing these pens I think I took in alot of dust, along with all the other projects I've been doing. Here's part of my problem: do to a limited amount of mobility with my arms I have a hard time reaching my head so all the ones you need to take a strap and tie it behind your head hasn't worked for me so I am looking for an easy slip on type or something similiar. I also don't have a dust collection system. Very limited space so if you have any suggestions along the lines of a system I'd love to hear your ideas!

Attachments

• spalted pens 003.jpg
    spalted pens 003.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 21
  • spalted pens 004.jpg
    spalted pens 004.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 25
Great job on the pens, Joan. :thumb:

Good for you on deciding to get some breathing protection. All wood dust is unhealthy, and spalted wood is often even worse. Here is the respirator I prefer:

AO Safety Woodworker's Mask

It does have straps that go around the back of your head, but they are elastic, so they are not tied. I can slip mine on over the top of my head, then with very little adjustment of the straps behind my head, I'm ready to go.