2 old tools and questions

larry merlau

first tool is a a old "atkins" brand handsaw, any idea of its age it has a date in the brass button of 1887...and lastly a old but diffnet styled no.5 1/2 plane with the name "lakecity" in the iron? any idea of when it was around? thanks

Thinking, :huh: maybe the 1887 on the saw bolts could be the start date of the company rather than the manufacture date. :dunno:

Other opinions? anyone?,,,Buehler? (Who was that guy Buehler anyway?) :rofl:

just was curious they arent going anywhere just was wondering about the approx age,, never hear of atkins saw co. and the lakecity plane is new to me as well i know that its not the big three in value just am curious as to approx age. as for pics well the camra batteries died and i dont have replacements yet

hey i had posted pics i thought i took them??? will have t go back and look for them???? i am gettin old and fergetful i quess.. they got aname for that disease i think, but cant meebr thename of it:rofl:

I'm heading over to Larrys saturday for a little assistance on a project, I'll take some pics Mark, well, that is, if I can remember to take my camera :rofl::rofl::rofl:

IMG_1061tn_.jpg

IMG_1062tn_.jpg

i had them shot before and am sure i had them ready to go in here but i can find them so here is another try to get tyhem in before tom beats me with his walking stick, into submission:) the plane is a 5 1/2 and the saw neds some more buttons but is has a new home and might even be used again:) if someone has a couple buttons for it i would be grateful to get ahold of them..

Good thing you got those pics up bud or I would of had to :rofl: Your lucky though the walking stick is only SOFT curlie maple, I havent made one out of hard maple......YET:D

who says you need a lathe to do round stuff:dunno::huh::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Cane 002 (600 x 800).jpg
    Cane 002 (600 x 800).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 16
Larry - Good to finally see the pics! Glad that you found a good nurturing environment for those poor, neglected tools. :thumb:

Tom - You only have about a week to make a hard curly maple walking stick for KaLea's swap. Maybe it'll even get delivered to KaLea herself - we all know she needs all the help she can get to keep Chuck in line! :rofl:

Thinking, :huh: maybe the 1887 on the saw bolts could be the start date of the company rather than the manufacture date. :dunno:

Other opinions? anyone?,,,Buehler? (Who was that guy Buehler anyway?) :rofl:

Most of the time, the dates shown on the screw bolts are the dates in which the fastenings were patented. During this era saws typically were cast in one piece and riveted together, but when screw bolts were invented it was quite common to put the patent dates on them. We take it for granted, but back when hand saws were the most often sold tool, and rivets worked loose, the improvement screw bolts made to a saw were profound. With only a few saw makers (Adkins and Diston) taking up most of the market share of things, screw bolts were a selling point.

Today often people confuse the dates on the screw bolts as the date in which the saw was made. Not so, but you see it all the time on fleabay. Its easy to see why but make no mistake, it was not when the saw was made.

mr johnson, i wasnt saying it was made in the 1800's but i do know its approximate time of use and it is old,, and i have not seen many that had carved handles as this one has its a raised pattern rather than a computer carved one.. just trying to get some info on it is all and had no intent of lying on ebay about it..it willstay in my shop till i no longer have a need for it.

mr johnson, i wasnt saying it was made in the 1800's but i do know its approximate time of use and it is old,, and i have not seen many that had carved handles as this one has its a raised pattern rather than a computer carved one.. just trying to get some info on it is all and had no intent of lying on ebay about it..it willstay in my shop till i no longer have a need for it.

Oh I know that. I was just saying a lot of people (not you) see the date and think that was when it was made. It's easy enough to do. Old saw, old date why would they not be one and the same. A few of us old hand saw lovers happen to know the reason why the date is stamped the way it is.

Larry,

Did you ever find out anything on your plane? Does the plane say "Lakecity" or "Lakeside". It looks like "Lakeside" in the picture.

Google Lakeside and its a plane that Montgomery Wards sold.

Randy

ahh yup randy found that out and you read between the lines well,, got a major hand plane fix today,, tuned up some irons and then had some scrub plane building and instruction..:) thanks for the info though:)

Glad you found what you needed.:D

Hand planes can be addicting, be careful. I started out looking for a tote for my grandpa's #5 a couple months ago. I think Ive added about 11 to the stable since then.:thumb:

The wife's trying to put me on a paypal allowance.:dunno::dunno:

Randy