Concert Gloat!

So this past Saturday (March 14th), one of my good friends and I, and a couple of others, went to see an artist by the name of Howie Day. You might recognize the name from his hit single Collide. Well on his tour he is doing all of his solo stuff (which I love the best!) so I posted a video to show you an example of what he can do. The song is pretty long but I recommend sitting it out to the end! For those of you who don't know much about guitars, he is doing all of this stuff through a series of effect pedals and loop pedals that his guitar and microphone run through. The "loop pedal" will record what he just played and repeat it over and over, stopping it when he wants to by control of a foot switch. There are no pre-recordings, it is all done on the spot with just him, his guitar, and pedals ...pretty crazy stuff. Towards the last couple minutes of the song, he takes everything he's looped and speeds it up, and then loops more ontop of it, and then kind of plays dj. It's really cool, check it out it :)

Also, my good friend I went with became friends with Howie by waiting it out after most of his shows. My friend is an artist who's created sculptures and paintings over the years for Howie and his band and one day they told him to hop on the bus :thumb: Ever since then he's hung out with them before/after the shows. That means I got to hang out backstage too :thumb: I couldn't thank my friend enough. It was an awesome experience. Howie is truely a nice guy, pretty funny too. He hasn't been to Milwaukee in about 6 years so it was good to finally see his show. I hope he comes around more often. Below is the link and picture :thumb: Oh, almost forgot to mention, picked up tickets again to see Coldplay this summer at Alpine Valley near my house! REALLY pumped for that! If anyone gets a chance to see them, even if you only know a couple of songs, I highly recommend! You will be blown away, those guys put on the best show I have ever seen.

Thanks for lookin! Just excited to share some good music :):):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iL2hTdm6V0

IMG_1383 (600 x 450).jpg

Sounds like a great concert, Westley. I've heard some of Howie's stuff, but not this piece. I've always liked playing the effect boxes about as much as playing the guitar itself. (I've been playing with echo loops since the late 70s.) It's a lot harder than it looks. My personal philosophy is that anything with three or more knobs or sliders on it has more bad settings than good settings. The trick (and skill) is to find the good settings. Looks like Howie got it figured out. :thumb:

Hearing the double-time part at the end of that video reminds me of a one-man-band guy I saw playing in a bar in Gallup NM years ago. This guy was the typical bad lounge act, with a guitar and a cheesy drum machine. In the middle of one slow ballad, he accidentally hit the wrong switch on the floor, and the drum machine took off like a racehorse on steroids...boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom...took him several tries to find the right switch to fix it, and it kinda messed up the mood of the song after that. :p

Hearing the double-time part at the end of that video reminds me of a one-man-band guy I saw playing in a bar in Gallup NM years ago. This guy was the typical bad lounge act, with a guitar and a cheesy drum machine.
Some years back I was at a concert where Stanley Jordan opened for Lee Ritenour. Ritenour described Jordan's set as, "From backstage, the two guitar players and the bass player sounded great, but the drummer was incredibly weak..."