Shaker Oval Boxes

Don Orr

Our local WW club had a guest lecturer last week who stayed on for a couple days to do some hands on workshops. We had John Wilson who teaches and sells materials for Shaker Oval Boxes. He did a presentation Thursday evening and then gave 2 box making sessions. I was in the Fri-Sat session. He brought everything needed to make a nesting set of 5 boxes, sizes 0-4. We did not have to bring anything excep lunch. These are the ones I made. I have not finished sanding them and have not put the oil on yet. It was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• Shaker Oval Boxes.jpg
    Shaker Oval Boxes.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 73
Thanks Chuck, he had all the materials and tools all prepped for us. We clenched the nails on pipe anvils clamped to benches.

Supposedly he has the only machine anywhere still making the copper tacks.

Don,
Those are really nice. I've had Mr. Wilson's boxes on a "to do" list for a few years. One of these days.:rolleyes:

Wes

Excellent Don, what a treat to learn with John Wilson. From his writing, he sounds knowledgeable and enthusiastic about oval boxes. Your set looks great. Have you and Mrs. Orr decided what they shall hold?

All the best,
Ken

Excellent job Don, they look great.

Consider yourself fortunate to live close enough to John Wilson to have made the event possible. I went through a kick 10 years or so ago where I made a "number" of nesting box sets and he was always incredibly generous with both his time and expertise when I would call. I would've loved to have had the opportunity to meet him in person.

Those look great Don. :thumb: :clap:

Must have been quite a challenge, too. Turning an oval box is tough enough, but having to work around those copper tacks must have been a real bear. :p

Thanks Everybody

Chuck, I got em done, not sure about "properly trained" :D

Ken, he is very knowledgeable and EXTREMELY enthusiastic about Shaker boxes. Not sure what they will hold yet.

Peter, he and his partner drove 11.5 hrs to get here on Thurs and the same back on Sunday. Michigan to NY and back!:eek:

Vaughn, this is part of my transition from round to flat work:eek:. Oval is kind of in between:D:thumb:

I appreciate everyone's comments, thanks.

have meet him several times and he is a stand up fella,, and lives shaker anything.. his simple solutions to some of those troublesome operations is amazing.. one very fine fella and see, the driving is a michigan thing:)

I love Shaker boxes. I have not made any but I have several that I bought over the years. All of my boxes are cherry and the wonderful color that they have developed is delicious. Yours are beautiful now and will only get more beautiful with age.

Larry, your are so right about him being a good guy:thumb:. Sharp, interesting, dedicated. He has the box-making thing down to a science. And your are also right about his simple solutions-he makes it easy for anyone to be successful in his class (even me !)

Thanks Mike-high praise indeed from a box-maker extraordinaire!

Great looking boxes and what a great experience to learn from that man.

Attachments

• johnwilsonshakerboxes.jpg
    johnwilsonshakerboxes.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 15