Signing your work

Jay Lock

LOML wants to get me a branding iron so I can mark my work.

I'm happy that she thinks enough of the stuff that I make that she wants me to sign it more permanently than my usual marking pen notation.

What do you use?

Are the branding irons worth the price, they seem a bit expensive?

Anyone using the "non electric" version?

Thanks for the advice

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
A year or so ago, Rockler had the electric irons on sale for about the same price as the torch-heated ones usually are.

My wife bought me one, along with the date attachment, and I've found it to be pretty useful Takes about twenty minutes to heat fully, and gives a nice, even impression. I use it a lot on the boxes, etc. that I make .

Unlike Travis, I do mostly (medium quality) flat work. Haven't gotten the lathe addiction - really don't understand what all the fuss is about...

TRAVIS, TRAVIS,TRAVIS

This is the Family Woodworking Forum :thumb:

A kinder gentler place :wave:

We don't disparage our fellow posters efforts :eek:

Even if they only work in Flatland :rofl:

And don't have those spinny things in their garages er shops! :dunno:

So with this information at hand, what is your answer :D

Jay

jay, on the rare occasion a customer has me build something i`m proud enough of to sign i`ll grab a 1/8" die grinder with a fine burr and engrave it....tod

Sorry guys.:( I wasn't trying to be rude or arrogant. I have made a little flatwork but I like my lathe best.
My suggestion is that if they are turnings (like bowls or game calls) you could have it laser engraved.

I like the pen, under the finish, or sometimes embed a small computer print-out in the finish. For spinny things, I include the type of wood (which wouldn't be in the iron). My flat things are made on commission so I put the customer's name in the signature "Custom Made for John Doe by Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas, January 2007"

No Big Deal

Travis

I knew you were joking, hope my reply was in a similar tone.

But hey, now not only do I have to buy a lathe to make those round things but I've got to get a laser to sign them? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think I'll stay in flatland for a bit longer!

Jay

A few yerars ago my wife gave me one of the electric branding irons with the words "Handcrafted By Frank Pellow" on it. I do use it from time to time but have had trouble getting a uniform burning of the letters. I would not have bought it for myself nor would I recommend it to others.

Last edited:
I have made over a hundred custom wooden models, but until my last project, I never signed a one. Now I guess I am turning over a new woodworking leaf, I use my computer to write a little information about who the project was for, when I built it and why. Then I hand sign and date it and put the note underneath the lid of the glass cases the models are placed. I cannot be seen unless the case is opened, but when it is, the model ends up having some lineage to it. I think clients like that.

Lee that was weird, the link I had showed your street, I forgot about G Earth!
Actually, that link I gave is Google Maps, just with right search string (the spaces and extra words apparently confused it) and using the "satellite photo" view. What's odd is that it appears to be a higher-resolution picture than the same location on Google Earth.

Actually, that link I gave is Google Maps, just with right search string (the spaces and extra words apparently confused it) and using the "satellite photo" view. What's odd is that it appears to be a higher-resolution picture than the same location on Google Earth.
What I want to know Lee, is how you managed to sign a satellite photo with a watermark that is strikingly similar to a 20’ parabolic reflector.