Wife bought me another tool.... It's here

Alan Bienlein

Just ordered the Hitachi C12LSH 12" sliding daul compound miter saw today:thumb:. I have been shopping arond lately because my 12" Rigid saw is getting tired and I wanted to upgrade to a slider.

Stuart is the one who sold me on the hitachi when I ran across his thread about when he got his and remodeled his dungeon at the begining of the year. I have to say Stu that you give use alot of ideas on how to use space very efficiently:thumb:.

The saw should be here around the 3-25 and comes with a mail-in-rebate for a free Hitachi M12VC fixed base router. Will post pics when it comes in.

Last edited:
I got the 10" version last year. It also came with the same router. Haven't used the router yet, but the saw is very nice. Plan on getting a new blade. The one that comes with it is fine for rough cuts for framing work, but it's a little, ok a lot, rough for hardwoods. Jim.

I went with the 12" because of the fact that I have a number of blades for it alreadyPlus it comes with the digital angle gauge for bevel cuts.

Just ordered the Hitachi C12LSH 12" sliding daul compound miter saw today:thumb:. I have been shopping arond lately because my 12" Rigid saw is getting tired and I wanted to upgrade to a slider.

Stuart is the one who sold me on the hitachi when I ran across his thread about when he got his and remodeled his dungeon at the begining of the year. I have to say Stu that you give use alot of ideas on how to use space very efficiently:thumb:.

The saw should be here around the 3-25 and comes with a mail-in-rebate for a free Hitachi M12VC fixed base router. Will post pics when it comes in.

You have a really nice wife - and now a nice saw, too.

Alan, I saw that new saw at the local woodworking show recently. Great machine. I was looking at the Hitachi stand to see what was out along exactly the same lines that Stu has. Unfortunately they were all sliders and I am looking to reduce the footprint of my chopsaw.

Will be great to see pics when it happens. Maybe I should hint to my wife that this would be a great birthday idea.:rofl:

Thanks Bill. I just looked at that video and the features shown in the video are some of the reasons I bought this saw. On one of my last projects I had to miter a straight and curved piece of trim for the front of some cherry built-ins and that fine adjustment would have come in real handy.

I also just sold my old Ridgid chopsaw to help finance this purchase:thumb:.

Well Fedex finally showed up today with my new chopsaw. I think the box was bigger than the one my Tablesaw or bandsaw came in. I was happy that it doesn't take up anymore room than the ridgid chopsaw did.3-27-09 010.jpg
3-27-09 011.jpg
3-27-09 013.jpg

And I didn't think the laser was going to be as bright as it is.
3-27-09 014.jpg

So far I'm really impressed with the saw. Everything is easy to use. Now I need to do something about dust collection on it. While I was at it I took some pictures of my new router setup. The router was free so the only cost was for the router raizer.

Attachments

• 3-27-09 015.jpg
    3-27-09 015.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 3-27-09 016.jpg
    3-27-09 016.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 3-27-09 018.jpg
    3-27-09 018.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 41
One suggestion: Get rid of the green plastic pieces in the base, and replace them with one fitted piece of half inch plywood (Baltic Birch works great) for a 'zero clearance' insert. It'll really help keep the bottom side of your cuts splinter free.

One suggestion: Get rid of the green plastic pieces in the base, and replace them with one fitted piece of half inch plywood (Baltic Birch works great) for a 'zero clearance' insert. It'll really help keep the bottom side of your cuts splinter free.

Jim,

I made a few test cuts with the blade that came with it and I was impressed on how clean and smooth the cuts were. Made me wonder what the people were complaining about in some of the reviews I read.

Now I need to finish the fold up extensions that I want to make for the saw.

holy moly, that is one beautiful looking piece of equipment, last piece of equipment Im looking to purchase, share a few more words about it once you give it a good workout.
Allen , I always wanted a SCMS but all the ones I looked at took up yo much room because the bars would hang out the back. This one you can set the slider bars to be stationary and the saw moves or you can lock the bars to the saw and they will slide out the back.

Boy that is the big, BIG brother of my saw for sure! :thumb:

I think you will like it.

Jim, the green plastic pieces are adjustable, you can loosen the screws and move them in so they just touch the blade, this works well for a splinter free cut on the bottom, and if you are doing a beveled cut, you just loosen the screws and move them out wider, so you don't cut the plastic pieces up. The replacement plastic pieces are not expensive either. FYI

I'll take the blame for this one for sure :wave: :D

Boy that is the big, BIG brother of my saw for sure! :thumb:

I think you will like it.

Jim, the green plastic pieces are adjustable, you can loosen the screws and move them in so they just touch the blade, this works well for a splinter free cut on the bottom, and if you are doing a beveled cut, you just loosen the screws and move them out wider, so you don't cut the plastic pieces up. The replacement plastic pieces are not expensive either. FYI

I'll take the blame for this one for sure :wave: :D

What blame are you talking about Stu:huh:? If your talking about influencing me on my decision to buy this saw, well your right:thumb:. I have been looking around lately and couldn't find anything I liked until I ran across your post of remodeling your scms station. When I looked it up and saw the price thats all my loml needed to know!:D

I'm just curious why you decided to go to a router lift instead of keeping the router raizer? I bought it because it was cheaper than a lift and the router I'm using it with was free plus I can now change bits above the table:thumb:.

What blame are you talking about Stu:huh:? If your talking about influencing me on my decision to buy this saw, well your right:thumb:. I have been looking around lately and couldn't find anything I liked until I ran across your post of remodeling your scms station. When I looked it up and saw the price thats all my loml needed to know!:D

Yep, my influence on your purchase, that's what I'm talking about :thumb:

Alan Bienlein said:
I'm just curious why you decided to go to a router lift instead of keeping the router raizer? I bought it because it was cheaper than a lift and the router I'm using it with was free plus I can now change bits above the table:thumb:.

The router raizier works well, it does, but the fine adjustment in not that great. Often, when you go to lower the router just a bit, it sticks for a second then drops too far :dunno:

It has certainly been good enough until now, but I just want to spend some of the remodeling payback on a nicer unit. The other problem I'm having is that the router I have is the Hitachi M12, NOT the M12V, I do NOT have the variable speed, and the aftermarket speed controller works only OK, too often I find at the slower speeds, to swing a larger bit, the router has very little power and the bit bogs down a lot.

I'll be keeping the M12 and the router raizer to use as a second router table, I might even install it on the left wing of the SawStop :dunno:

Cheers!

Great saw. Alan. Congrats. :thumb:

...The router raizier works well, it does, but the fine adjustment in not that great. Often, when you go to lower the router just a bit, it sticks for a second then drops too far :dunno:...

I've got the same lift, with the M12V. I've found that if I always sneak up to the right height it's fine. I just don't adjust down to the final height. Sort of like always tuning a stringed instrument up to the right note, not down. It's a backlash thing. If I haven't used the lift for a couple months, sometimes it is a bit sticky going down. Alan, I think you'll be real pleased with that lift.

The router raizier works well, it does, but the fine adjustment in not that great. Often, when you go to lower the router just a bit, it sticks for a second then drops too far :dunno:

Unfortunately, this is normal for threaded adjustments. Against gravity (up) will give you the position that will stay there throughout the cut. With gravity (down) will possibly shift slightly further down during operation. This is because threads aren't a perfect fit (they'd be very hard to operate if they were). Adjusting upward has the threads in more or less perfect contact on one side of each thread. Adjusting downward loses this positive contact and has the risk of vibrations dropping the equipment.

I feel like I'm not using very good words to explain this. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I fully understand what the problem is, and I agree with Vaughn says about "Sneaking Up" on it, my old DeWalt DW744 was the same. My SawStop is NOT like that, up or down, there is no backlash, it just moves smoothly, up or down.

I will be keeping the old M12 with the router raizer and I imagine I'll be using it, especially when I do doors etc. two router tables will be NICE to have.

Cheers!

I think if I did get a routerlift I would also buy the adapter so that my noew Hitachi router would fit as well as my Pc 7518. That way if one router ever has a problem I can switch it over to the other while it is getting fixed:thumb:. Yea, thats how I might try to sell it to loml,but I think I will wait a litle bit first. Don't want to ruin a good thing:D!