Chuck given the precision needed in the last jig what tool did you use to do the cut out? Are the sides of the cut out substantially larger than a side of the colum or is this a tight fit. I am trying to get a feel for the range of clamping. Great jig idea. I always wondered about the ability of strap clamps in this kind of situation.

Thanks Chuck. On the side have you found any run out when you use your table saw hybrid at an angle to give the wood strips the bevel. Not sure I am describing the issue properly but I found that cutting at say 45 degree the angle was not consistent from one side of the blade to the other even though the blade in 90degree was true to the mitre slot.

I thought I had cleared up this issue on my saw when i set it up but after a cut yesterday I still think it is there.

Just wondered how much your dewalt has this issue or what you do to keep the cut same angle along a whole length of wood.

Would figure thats important when you are making the colums you are.

That last version looks like it will work reliably again and again. Nice job on that. This is a great example of when to take the time to make a jig; when it will save you time over and over in the future.

Thanks Chuck. On the side have you found any run out when you use your table saw hybrid at an angle to give the wood strips the bevel. Not sure I am describing the issue properly but I found that cutting at say 45 degree the angle was not consistent from one side of the blade to the other even though the blade in 90degree was true to the mitre slot.

I thought I had cleared up this issue on my saw when i set it up but after a cut yesterday I still think it is there.

Just wondered how much your dewalt has this issue or what you do to keep the cut same angle along a whole length of wood.

Would figure thats important when you are making the colums you are.

Rob, If you will make a phone call to "American Woodworker" magazine, I'm pretty sure they will still sell and mail you a copy of their Issue # 124, October 2006. (At least they have in the past) On pages 71 through 75 there is a really good article by Richard Tendick that describes how to check and "Correct" the angle for bevel problems on a saw, like you mention, and it has "Pictures" too.:D

It takes you step by step through the process, (which takes a little time, but isn't really difficult) and it covers contractors saws and cabinet saws, so you just pick the procedure that fits the way your saw is built.

I still have the issue, but it has managed to hide itself SOMEWHERE.:rolleyes:

I have recommended this article to several others that were having problems, and they all said they used it and their saws made bevel angle cuts correctly for the first time since they had owned them.

If the publisher can't make that issue available any more, let me know and I will search some more for my copy and see if I can get the info to you. That issue also has an article and the plans for a small (solar powered, IIRC) wood kiln in it that looked pretty good and fairly simple to build.

Last edited:
Chuck,
A very strong precise jig.
What are you planning on doing with the columns?

The only possible problem is if you want a slightly different size column. You would of course never cut the srips incorrectly.
Even before reading Mohammed's post, I had wondered if there might be a different type of tightening mechanism that could be used with the staps. Could a couple of wedges be used to get added pressure?

Out of all the ones i have ripped out I would say there has been say 5 that have been a little wonky.

Wonky, --- Is that a new technical term?:rofl:

They do not work if the pieces are any bigger. I know I did a three piece set (three pieces to make one of the 8 sides) it came out an 1/8" bigger than the one piece. It just was not happening with the jig so I had to put the straps on it. If they where smaller you could wedge them if you wanted.
The one thing that I have found that I really like is that you can assemble as you apply the glue. Glue the piece set it in the bottom half. Do the next one and set it in. With the straps you would have to glue up all the pieces then assemble. Holding all eight of them together (even with tape) and getting the strap on is a bit of a pain.

As for what I am doing with them Paul for now stacking them up like cord wood. Later I will turn them and there will be pic.

Chuck, you may have tried OR seen a method I saw somewhere, (but haven't tried), so this is just for your info that MIGHT be helpful if doing a one time different size or something.

What I saw was where the guy cut all his segments, then laid out 3 long strips of tape parallel to each other so you could lay a segment down across them and press it to the tape, then he would lay another down by the first with the edge against the first one, and continue until they were all laid down with the edges snug to each other.

With them all laid out he would then apply glue to all the edges and then just roll them up til they made the completed circle and pull the remaining tape across that last glue joint to hold the two ends of the roll together. I think he was using the 1" wide "nylon filament" packing tape, and he just pulled the tape tight to hold the last two together. He said that in most cases no further strapping was needed, but he did say that you "Could" add straps if you so desired and even add wedges on any or all segments if you wanted it even tighter. It seemed to work pretty nicely "For Him", but you and I both know that OUR Mileage May Vary.:rolleyes: Anyhow, just another "Cat Skinning" method for the Tricks File.:dunno::D