Sacrificial Table Saw Fence Clamps

Dan Gonzales

I never liked having the clamps standing proud of the face when using a sacrificial table saw fence. I liked the pretty blue Rockler fence clamps, but I realized I almost always used three clamps to make sure the board didn't bow out. So I decided to make my own set of three.

I made a set for myself from some old clamps. Then I made some sets for my brother and dad. The cost for each set using the Bessey Mighty Mini bar clamp and 3/8"x5" cap screws from Lowes was $18, the same cost as the set of two from Rockler. I considered using round steel bar stock but it seemed too mild for my preference.

Cut the cap and thread off the screws.

IMG_3183.JPG

Remove the fixed jaw from clamp. I used a Dremel type cutoff blade to cut a slot and then a cold chisel to split the pot metal of the clamp jaw.

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

Weld the screw rod to the clamp bar and grind/file the welds to clean it up.

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

Paint.

IMG_3188.JPG

Here they are in use.

IMG_3191.JPG

The photograph angle makes it look like the middle clamp is in danger of getting hit by the blade, but it isn't.

Cheers,

Dan Gonzales
───────────
Whittier, CA

Last edited:
Good job on the clamps Dan. I like and have those Rockler clamps too, and the only thing I personally do differently than you have is: Due to the Predominance of "Mr Murphy", (Of Murphy's Law Fame) and his sporadic visits to MY shop, I just couldn't place a clamp in the middle, as shown in your pic, because I just know he would inadvertently drive my subconscious mind to move the fence over too far and let the blade get into the clamp.:doh::(

I always use a clamp on the fence just before the blade and close after the back of the blade, (Just in case):rolleyes::D

Norman -

The middle clamp is 1" ahead of the blade. The photograph angle makes it look like it's right in the blade's path, but I assure you it isn't. I definitely don't want to drive my dado set into a piece of steel!

Dan Gonzales
───────────
Whittier, CA, USA

Last edited:
Norman -

The middle clamp is 1" ahead of the blade. The photograph angle makes it look like it's right in the blade's path, but I assure you it isn't. I definitely don't want to drive my dado set into a piece of steel!

Dan Gonzales
───────────
Whittier, CA, USA

Oh, Oh, MY Mistake. :eek: Sorry about that, I guess I'll have to clean my glasses better before I look at any more Pictures.:D (It's always GOOD to be prepared for "Mr. Murphy").:thumb:

Dan, that is an excellent idea, and very well executed too! :thumb:

I have the Rockler clamps and the worked fine on my smaller DeWalt DW744 saw, as the fence is rather short, but I've yet to try them out on the SawStop, which has a MUCH longer fence, if I find I need one more near the middle, I'll be borrowing your idea :thumb:

Did you weld them yourself?

MIG welder?

I sure find I've used my MIG welder in my workshop a LOT more than I thought I would have.

Cheers!

Norman - I think Mr. Murphy lives near me because he likes to drop in quite often.

Stu - Yes I have a little MIG welder that I end up using a lot around the house. It really expands your horizons when tooling around with cars/trucks/tractors and garden equipment as well as shop equipment. When I was in Tokyo I took a train out to Tamasakai just to see a store called Cainz Home. Do you ever go there for supplies or equipment? I spent a couple of hours just walking around the two stores absorbing the Japanese perspective of do-it-yourself. Taking the subway back I had a couple of saws and bamboo rakes sticking out the top of my backpack and probably another 30 pounds of hand tools, garden tools and the cool japanese style hatchets as well. I also bought three bottles of sake there while I was at it! Quite a store.

Hey Dan, if you ever come again, stop by for the nickel tour of the Dungeon, and I could maybe get you a good deal on a good bottle of sake :thumb:

I've been to Cainz Homes, not a bad store, but I like Joyful Honda and Super Viva Home better, even more orientated to the carpenter.

Cheers!

Thanks for this idea Dan. I have some really cheap clamps that will work perfectly for this purpose. I had the same Rockler version on my wish list over with them. Now I can take it off and recycle. Great idea.
I will get my buddy busy welding again.:rofl:

Norman -

Those look great. I have a couple pair of the Rockler version that I picked up at a 2 for 1 back when they first came out. Like you I have the positioned just ahead and just behind the blade plus one back at the leading edge. I use the one left over for my BS pivot fence.

I usually go to Harbor Freight and buy the Knock-off version of the better tool to chop up and use parts for the jig... Their version is $3 compared to your $18 clamp
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96210

But I do like the idea and thanks for the post and the good details. :thumb:

Bill - Doh! Good call. Harbor Freight would certainly drop the cost down to $12 for the set. My cost per unit was $4.98 for the clamp and 70 cents for the cap screw. I will keep that in mind for any more clamps going to get cut up.

Stuart - I would love to go to Japan again, probably in 3 years. I went because my wife had to travel there for business and I tagged along. My family and friends in Tokyo had no recommendations about good destinations for my interests, so of course I find about the cool places after I return!

Dan,
Thanks! Great idea!

I've been eyeing those Rockler clamps for a while and just couldn't justify buying them for that price. Another thing added to the "To Do" list.:D

Wes