Boring Time in the Shop - Note Updated Tool Bit Size

To find the bits, you might even check your local hardware store. Borg probably will not have them, but you might be surprised at what a locally owned hardward store might have for you. I get mine from the local junk store. It's one of those places that goes to auctions and buys over runs and so on. You never know what they might have. In fact, I'm thinking about going back out there and buying the rest of what they have as far as these bits go. 1/4" x 2 1/2" is $1.50. Not sure I can find them that cheap anywhere else. Then again, I haven't checked Enco.

Thanks Jeff, I just bought the cutters from Harbor freight, what the heck, I'll figure out something to do with the other cutters, I can use the 3/16 in my toothpick gouge. Also ordered a set of digital calipers for $9.99, gotta love that place:)

I picked up a few HSS panel pilot router bits that were on clearance at one of the local hardware stores on my commute today - could these be adapted to a similar hollowing tool?

Regarding the 1/4" square stock, could you have just chucked it into your DP and used a file to turn it round at one end in order to just use a 1/4" tool receiver hole for a nice fit?

I picked up a few HSS panel pilot router bits that were on clearance at one of the local hardware stores on my commute today - could these be adapted to a similar hollowing tool?

Regarding the 1/4" square stock, could you have just chucked it into your DP and used a file to turn it round at one end in order to just use a 1/4" tool receiver hole for a nice fit?
I don't know of the router bits would work or not. I vaguely recall seeing something recently about someone using a modified ball end mill (or something along those lines) as a turning tool cutter. I'd say find a way to hold it, then experiment cutting with it on the inside of a bowl where you can see it in action.

If you're talking about the 1/4" square HSS tool steel stock, I don't think you'd be able to file it down round, but there's no real need to. It goes into a round hole fine, and stays in place well with a setscrew.

I just learned that I'm an idiot. (Again.) All along I've been thinking these were 1/4" tool bits in these 1/2" boring bars. So I ordered some more 1/4" bits. Today, I realized they are too big for the holes I have in the bars. Turns out, I was using 3/16" bits, NOT 1/4" bits. In a 1/2" boring bar, that can be a significant difference.

If anyone ended up buying 1/4" bits based on my earlier statements in this thread, I apologize for my boneheadedness. :bang:

Vaughn, I'll take some of that from you. Since I was making my tools with 3/4" bar I was using, and talking about, 1/4" bits. That probably got into your head and came out through your fingers. You're not a complete idiot, yet.

I have to think Chuck was kidding about his comments re: cold rolled bending. In making my Ozark Roughers, I found cold rolled to be about the toughest stuff on the planet. Bend? :eek: Mebbe a superhero could do it. I'm going to be making some hollowers (not copying Vaughn) and they will be from hot rolled to make the project easier on me and my tools.
Vaughn, you did a good thing there. :thumb: And, helped yer personal economic situation in the process.
BTW, with the cold rolled, I found that tapping threads was the trickiest part. That tough steel is resistant and, if not careful, the tap could be broken easily.
BTW #2: I like the laser guide you have on the drill press. Did it come with the drill or is it an aftermarket thingy? I have one on my CMS but always seem to forget to turn it off and burn out the battery.

BTW, with the cold rolled, I found that tapping threads was the trickiest part. That tough steel is resistant and, if not careful, the tap could be broken easily.
BTW #2: I like the laser guide you have on the drill press. Did it come with the drill or is it an aftermarket thingy? I have one on my CMS but always seem to forget to turn it off and burn out the battery.

I haven't broken any taps yet on the cold rolled, but I did break three last weekend playing around with 304 stainless steel.

The my drill press came with the laser on it, but I've seen some just like it sold as aftermarket additions. Here's the one Sears sells, but they can probably be had for less money elsewhere:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921920000P

I had always discounted the lasers as a gimmick. After all, who needs the laser when you have the tip of the drill bit? After using it, though, I find it really handy for getting things set up.

The my drill press came with the laser on it, but I've seen some just like it sold as after market additions. ...

I had always discounted the lasers as a gimmick. After all, who needs the laser when you have the tip of the drill bit? After using it, though, I find it really handy for getting things set up.

I'm with you Vaughn, I do find it helpful in setting up jigs on the drill press table; kinda gives you a running start.

The Sears laser (should that be in all caps? Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) is the same one I got from Woodcraft for $20 on sale. Still in the box, I'm thinking of rigging up something on the lathe, or attaching it to the head of my pet shark.

2965414094_54a15ec174_m.jpg