unisaw...new to dad

Chris Mire

well ever since i shut down my business my dad has been wanting to get back into doing more woodworking. he came across an add in the paper for a part time cabinet shop worker, just so happens he knows the guy who owns the shop. so he hired him to work 3 days a week, that has since turned into 5 days a week for now.

on to the point, the owner had a unisaw as the main shop saw. well yesterday i get a call from dad that he needs me to help unload a saw at his house. "what saw?" he preceded to tell me that one of the workers tilted the saw to a 45 and it got jammed, the worker forced the saw and the gears got jammed up. sometime around this happening the saw quit working. so the owner took the PM66 he had stored on a shelf in the shop and hooked it up, so dad asks what he's gonna do with the saw and he says toss it in the dumpster, to which dad quickly replied, i got a dumpster in the back of my truck :D

long story short the owners electrician told his it would be 2,000 to fix the gear and whatever was wrong with the electrical. well, by the time i got to dad's yesterday he was all excited saying he didn't think the transformer was blown like the electrician said, it looked like some wires broke. so he cut and restripped them, hooked up the plug, plugged her in and she made a sweet hummin sound.

so it looks like dad got a 52" biesemeyer equipped unisaw for free. unless you count the plug he had to buy. :thumb:

this leads me to a questions, the saw says it's made in the USA, i am pretty sure you can tell the year it was made by the serial number right? anyone know for sure? the serial number begins in (89) and ends in (91), i figured it had to be one of those. i looked on the motor and it says marathon electric, any input on this brand of motors?

thanks
chris

thanks for the info, i found it on that link frank provided. after 1982 the serial numbers changed to be the fiscal year 89, then a letter code for the month, then a number for that machine.

so dad's newly acquired uni was made in 89.

which brings me to my next question. does the made in usa really mean it was all made in usa, or was it just assembled here. just trying to figure out when they started the overseas stuff.

thanks
chris

You know, we always hear stories like this, but it is so nice to hear one that we know the guy that got the deal! :thumb:

I'm sure he will really enjoy that saw! :clap:

Good deal the one your dad made. I'm glad for him.:thumb:

Not similar to the electrician, he didn't get the job just for being either lazy or stupid, or maybe too wise and wanting to charge a lot for something that could be fixed easily:dunno: he got what he deserved. NOTHING