Ever have one of those weeks?

Ned Bulken

Last thursday my van wasn't charging, thought I had lost a belt, so I took it to a vendor that my company uses and got it in for service. I'd shot a bunch of buildings by that point in the day, and so I didn't bother to get a rental, I just worked from home (normally not allowed/encouraged, but I didn't lose much production time so it was 'ok')

Shop kept it all weekend and I only got it back yesterday around Noon. Proceed to go out and shoot some more near the shop, then head over to an area I hadn't worked to look for some for sale signs. Stop for a cuppa joe and shut the van off... come out and click... click, no start.

:bang:

call the road assistance people, tell them where I am and that there is a towing vendor not 1/4 mile from me, can they authorize transport back to the prior shop? sure they say... no problem. This was at around 1:30. AT 4:30 the flatbed arrives & loads up the sprinter, and we rattle our way over to the shop. I swear that truck was held together with bailing wire, if it got over 45mph it shook and vibrated enough that i was glad i was belted in!

Got a lift over to Enterprise (one man office, I knew It'd be quicker to get a lift) and I've got a snazzy red Pontiac Vibe in hand now. as soon as my work programs reboot I'm off to syracuse to zip around and take photos.

Attachments

• decked.jpg
    decked.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 49
It sucks that you lost most of a day, but with that kind of road work will ALWAYS involve some days lost to vehicle trouble, it was just your turn.

Be happy, VERY happy that the van is being transported away with just a charging problem, not with a BIG dent in the side or the front/rear end smashed up. :thumb:

Cheers!

Oh yeah...I can relate.

Friday I got the news that I was NOT going to get the job I really, really, really wanted.

Saturday I ran for Town Council in town and did not get it...either time. Again a little bummed but the wife and I were headed out, off-farm, child free and going on a date. :)

We got lost going to the Irish Pub. When we found it after an hours hike in the windy, cold weather, we got stuck beside an old drafty window that froze us out and would make the candle flicker. So we moved. The next table was so wobbly our drinks spilled. The third table had a really wobbly chair but it was a 4 person setting and we were just a couple so it finally worked.

I found out during diner that Lamburger sucks. (Chops are good...lamburger...not so good). :( The wife found out that they did not give her the Sweet Potato Fries she asked for but just regular fries. We have nixed that resteraunt from the list. :(

Then we went to a hockey game. Things looked good when there was a major fight 2 minutes into the game. :) Things looked better when they were up 1 to 4 and winning with 6 minutes left in the game. :) 5 minutes later the home team did not look so good when they were tied. Oh well, a shoot out is always great. 39 seconds later, no shoot out as the opposing team scored again and it was 5-4 for the win. :( Ten seconds later a woman drops her soda and the entire section of the Cumberland County Civic Center, section L was covered with soda. We were in Section L, seats 12 and 11. In fact so was a bunch of die hard hockey fans who literally took the short bus. They were adults but had development issues and bordered on having turrets. Having a 400 pound woman slur the words "A naked zebra is missing its stripes Ref," was wonderful to hear for 3 straight hours. :( Nursing a home team loss and soda drenched in the heavy wind and cold weather back to her sisters apartment was not fun either,though we did look for that zebra who was minus his stripes...never saw him though :dunno:

Been there.... Hang on, it gets better.... eventually.

Oh it will...

It sucks that you lost most of a day, but with that kind of road work will ALWAYS involve some days lost to vehicle trouble, it was just your turn.

Be happy, VERY happy that the van is being transported away with just a charging problem, not with a BIG dent in the side or the front/rear end smashed up. :thumb:

Cheers!
Stu, excellent point. I'm always very thankful that I've not had that sort of incident yet & I do my best to park where both the other drivers and I'm safe.
I'm an old road warrior.. meaning that I understand there will be down time for vehicles. It turns out the alternator was bad, and of course they will be shipping it in and I Might get it back by Friday. I'll be 'happy' with Monday, truth be told.

Hope your week gets better...maybe some shop time would cheer you up?

Hows the workbench coming?

Jeff, you read my mind... I'm going to take a nice long lunch today and get a few things out of the way so that I can bring the bench pieces back to the shop.

Oh yeah...I can relate.

Friday I got the news that I was NOT going to get the job I really, really, really wanted.

:dunno:

Travis, sorry that the job didn't come through, and hey, even a date nite with some hiccups is still a 'good date night.

bummer ned, good thing the tow shop wasnt 10 milies away.
From what the driver told me, it was simply that they hadnt' received a fax from the national service. c'est la vie.
I had a good last couple of hours though. I decided to play hookie a little and make some sawdust. opened up the shop to discover that several boards had fallen from my lumber rack. No harm no foul, I think I heard them when they went the other day, no clue as to why they did though.

I worked on the drywall rack that I want to hang from the 2nd floor joists. I probably over-engineered them, but that's ok. tomorrow after work I'll get the ladder out and drill some holes in the joists, just two 1/2" holes, which shouldn't make any difference up there. From those will hang one 2x4 each, which will support one end of a 2x8. The other end will be resting upon a 2x4 screwed into the wall. I'll be dropping the 'ceiling' in that corner of the shop just about 2 1/2 feet, but since I have 10' sidewalls, that's fine by me.

All of this is to hold up several sheets of drywall, and possibly some plywood for a short time (just until I get the back wall insulation done, then the plywood would be brought down and screwed to the wall.

best part is, the cost was minimal, I bought extra 2x4's the other day for the bench project, and a couple of them had a bit more checking than I noticed the day I picked them up. they'll work fine as hangers though.