Adding a Thien Baffle to a Harbor Freight DC

Next, I needed some standoffs to hold the baffle in place. I used some 1 1/4" (as I recall) dowel material I picked up at the Borg. I had to play around a bit to figure out the angle to cut the ends to match the slope of the separator. I have no idea what the actual number ended up being, but it worked. I also drilled the holes in the end before cutting the angle...:

Vaughn

I don't understand why you had to play around to figure out the angles with that fancy gauge you had to measure the 120 degrees. :dunno:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30259&d=1238122798

Looks as if could measure anything...:thumb:

Garry

How does a guy get a $179 price on the HF collector?

I go on the web and it's $249. I registered on the website and the email only shows specific items on sale, no generic coupons.

My "mad money" from the tax refund is burning a hole in my pocket . . .

Jim

Jim
Almost all HF stuff cycles thru the sale adds pretty quickly. Also they email the percent off coupons as well sending them in the flyers from time to time. At one time you could play almost print your own coupon for the retail store but they caught on to that.

I have a 20 percent off coupon good thru Sunday but they now are personalized to me and they know if I have used them. I found this out when I bought a 220v volt compressor for my Son and found he wanted 110. They had a hard time selling me the second one as the coupon had already been used.

But it will be on sale again soon..

What get rough is trying to find it on sale when you have the coupon...:(:(

Garry

... I've heard if you"re not at .5 microns or less you"re just blowing the dust around anyway ,as the sunlight comes through basement windows after running equipment I see the haze of dust lingering , even with dust mask or full blown mask I tend to be able to tell what kind of wood I've been working on after the fact when I blow my nose. Well some people will make a joke of this but It does make me concerned for my health

Doug,

Congrats! You've taken the first step on your dust collection journey. Pay no attention to those people who make jokes, dust is a real, and serious, problem, and no one can "tough guy" their way through it. If you can smell it, you're breathing it, and if there's physical residue, there's a real problem.

One thing that gets in people's way on their journey is cost. But a little creativity (like Vaughn's solution) goes a long, long way. Yes, we should all have a cyclone, but I for one can't afford it, so I do what I can with what I have. Something is better than nothing, and something else is a little better than that. ;)

The other thing is some of the marketing materials. "5 microns won't do it, you need to go to one micron." "One micron is too big, you need to go to .5 microns." ".5 microns is too big, buy our 2,500 dollar cyclone." "Don't buy an air cleaner, you're just blowing dust around, buy our cyclone." OK, maybe they're right, but I can't buy a cyclone... now what?

An air cleaner is just a box, with a squirrel cage fan on one end, and a filter or filters on the other. Mine is very, very helpful. I also have a dust collector like Vaughn's, only mine's a delta I got on sale at lowe's. I needed floor space, so mine's up in the garage attic, with piping that goes up there. Since it's hard to get up there to empty the bags, on the lower level, up on a cabinet to save floor space, I've got a trash can, with a 20 dollar separator lid. When it fills up, I just empty the trashcan. My shop isn't air conditioned or heated, so it's not like I'm loosing cold or warm air to the attic, so this works for me. It ain't perfect, but it's way better than it used to be. It makes a huge difference to my breathing. My lungs are only at 70% capacity (I was a smoker for a while), and I'm convinced at least half of that loss was from woodworking before I got my present setup. Ever since then, I've breathed a lot easier. I can really feel the difference.

If you saw what my setup looks like, you'd laugh. But even with a lack of money, a little creativity, and a sense of humor, can go a long way... :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to dc ?

Thanks Vaughn and Bill for your input I 'm thinking I will pick this up if the sale still exists and try to modify, it is ashame that harborfreight doesn't do the mod to improve there product , there web site does have it at 249.00 , but it is on sale for 179.00 in the store and I will get 20% off coupon deducted from that I believe . the e-mailed coupon diretly to my in box. and I think I will add mods if I can follow what you have done to yours Vaughn. Not to get off subject Vaughn but I decided to keep the Ts3660 Ridgid table saw at your advice, I'm glad I did. I just saw at my local Home depot the new granite top, seemed that the mitre slots had roughness or slight imperfections ground into it. Smaller fence to only 30" cut seemed and fence itself seemed cheap, weight of saw seemed impressive, so try to check one out closed cab. seemed good but has stubby legs at bottom like contractor saw. I think I made the right choice and you all are right as far as dust collection and filtration something is better than nothing. So I will try to see if I can get a hold of one at 179.00 less 20% and as far as the gentlemen that got money back on his taxes , God bless you I'm glad my money goes to someone. Haven't had a refund in about 6yrs now. Spend it on the hobby man!!!!!!!!!!! :D:thumb:;)

DC

Well went back to Harbor freight , guess what the rain check I have is still good but they are zero stock at there warehouse a few of the other stores show having them but at an 87 mile distance and that is unconfirmed manager at my local store apologized as I waited for 15 minutes as he called around to check all stores and never did talk to a human they left him hanging on the line at three different locations finally he called regional manager, who said he would deliver one into the store in about two to three weeks. I wiill have a heart attack if that really happens as well as the manager calling me to let me know it's finally here. Well I wish I could afford the oneida cyclone for 800- 1000 buck well not! later db being :(:(patient.:huh::(:(:(:doh:

dc ariived at harbor freight!

Dc actually delivered to harbor freight Cinti. loc. by district manager, Local store manager called me today , I'm looking at picking it up but also Mark k . found used oneida for 350. in Batavia Il. that would be a drive to me. I will probably go with harbor freight just because they went through the hassle, Onedia cyclone would probably better , but it is what it is at this point used? more money etc. But I was suprised at how fast harbor freight responded, i guess if you get the right people or person involved they care , no sale no company these days. It's ashame now days that everything is driven by money, but that's how it is, later db:wave:

An Oneida cyclone for $350? That's a heck of a deal, assuming it includes the motor, cyclone, and filter. Even used, I'm sure it's a better DC than the Harbor Freight.