should I use Titebond Liquid Hide Glue?

Jim Niemi

We have had this project at our shop that we glue up 4 2 x 2 x 38" Walnut blanks into a 4 x 4 x 38" blank when it is glued up, and it gets turned into a profile. When we get it back from the turner we have to separate this in 4 parts to be used as 4 legs of a table.
Now we have a HARD time trying to get this apart without damaging the product, and making sure that there is 4 equal parts with in .003". (Not very much room for error) We have used Titebond I, II and had issues, then we used Titebond Liquid Hide Glue that says Its sensitivity to moisture allows for easy disassembly of parts and had no luck. (these were also used with paper inbetween staves)
SO what I was wondering if anyone has done this before and knows how to do this correctly without damaging a $400 turning for the 3rd time?:huh::dunno:
Any Ideas?
Thanks Jim

Last edited:
We have had this project at our shop that we glue up 4 2 x 2 x 38" Walnut blanks into a 4 x 4 x 38" blank when it is glued up, and it gets turned into a profile. When we get it back from the turner we have to separate this in 4 parts to be used as 4 legs of a table.
Now we have a HARD time trying to get this apart without damaging the product, and making sure that there is 4 equal parts with in .003". (Not very much room for error) We have used Titebond I, II and had issues, then we used Titebond Liquid Hide Glue that says Its sensitivity to moisture allows for easy disassembly of parts and had no luck. (these were also used with paper inbetween staves)
SO what I was wondering if anyone has done this before and knows how to do this correctly without damaging a $400 turning for the 3rd time?:huh::dunno:
Any Ideas?
Thanks Jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have been using paper the full length without success you might consider trying 4 or 6 pieces of paper about an inch or so square distributed fairly evenly along the length. It really doesn't take all that much to hold pieces like that together. Also maybe if you have waste to be cut off on each end those ends could be glued better and be a moot point when they are cut off the final product. I prefer kraft paper AKA (brown paper bag). Disassembly has to be in the exact reversal of assembly.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Bob.

Although I'm not familiar with those Titebond glues that you mention, I remember this happening to me once and the cause was that I used a too thin and porous paper that made the glue go through it and behaving as if there was no paper at all. The other cause was that on top of that I clamped the whole set.

I learned the lesson for ever...

Curious....

As said, not much needs to hold the turning together. I think that may be a good next attempt. However, Titebond hide glue isn't quite the same thing as the old fashioned hide glue. The "real" hide glue does soften/reconstitute very easily with water and/or a hot knife.

I am in the process of building a woodturning business, but have not yet dealt with split turnings. I am very interested in learning which process finally meets with success. But I am sorry things aren't going well. Good luck!

Hutch

Last edited: