VB36 on eBay

Jeff Bower

Thought maybe someone in the area of this lathe might be interested...only 5hrs left and reserve is not met yet....

>>>>>Link<<<<

!BOr-WK!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlwfrpBJv8yZnV9!~~_1.JPG

Well it did not sell. I wonder what the reserve was. Hate it when they do that. Looks like it is pretty new. Would not suprise me if the reserve was over $6000.

Doug, I notice the older one does not have a threaded spindle. That would be a deal-breaker for me. (And even if it was threaded, it's not hollow, and that also adds problems for vacuum chucking.) With no tailstock, reversing a bowl to finish the bottom chucking would be tough. It might be fun as a specialty lathe, but I don't think I'd pay a lot of money for it.

Hutch, I don't think I'd want a VB36 as my only lathe (and I know it wouldn't be yours), but it sure looks like a bowl-coring son of a gun.

Like I said, I'm going to do a bit of investigating. I got some lessons from Terry Daniel on his VB a couple of years ago. He showed how he could rough a bowl while talking to the group there in under 10 minutes. As a part of that he turned a recess in the bottom while the piece was on the face plate. With this method, the recess and the surrounding band are finished to a nice foot and you never have to go back to it. In fact, you can return it to the lathe anytime for re-sanding or re-finishing should you desire. But, I'm going to compare this one to the new model. May go ahead and wait anyway for more power and some other advantages I am already thinking of.

Like I said, I'm going to do a bit of investigating. I got some lessons from Terry Daniel on his VB a couple of years ago. He showed how he could rough a bowl while talking to the group there in under 10 minutes. As a part of that he turned a recess in the bottom while the piece was on the face plate. With this method, the recess and the surrounding band are finished to a nice foot and you never have to go back to it. In fact, you can return it to the lathe anytime for re-sanding or re-finishing should you desire. But, I'm going to compare this one to the new model. May go ahead and wait anyway for more power and some other advantages I am already thinking of.

I can see that working with the VB, but the used Vega looked like it'd be hard to mount a chuck on. It had no threads on the spindle. (The new one does have a threaded spindle.)

Adaptors are no problem. However, I just got off the Vega site. The specs on the new one are this:
This lathe offers large capacity for bowls, platters and hollow forms in a compact, affordable package. Designed for quick and easy speed change, the 1HP industrial duty Baldor motor offers plenty of power for larger turnings.

* 24" Swing
* 13" Center to Center
* 1HP 115 Motor with Reversing
* 8 Speeds (200-2900 RPM)
* 1 1/4 x 8 Spindle #2MT
* Removable Tailstock #2MT
I think I'll keep saving my pennies. Only have half to go. Wedding season is upon us.

I think unusual is an understatement. 24" swing with only 1/2 horse motor. Just out of curiosity, no tailstock, no chuck, solid spindle, no vacuum, how to reverse turn a natural edge bowl? The only I can think of is using hot melt glue. I image it would be some work to remove afterward if the bowl is large.

I think unusual is an understatement. 24" swing with only 1/2 horse motor. Just out of curiosity, no tailstock, no chuck, solid spindle, no vacuum, how to reverse turn a natural edge bowl?

All very true. I wouldn't want it as my only lathe. But...

Min speed 200. I bet you could go even slower by changing pulleys. For light cuts when roughing an unbalanced blank, it would do. The problem for me, with a big blank, is the first ten minutes. I could take this:

6318_12.JPG

And screw the face of the blank on. Once I got it round and balanced, it could go on the 600 rpm 2 hp lathe. All that, for 200 bucks? :thumb:

Yes, the new one will be better. It'll also be $1,200+ :doh:

Oh, well, we're in the land of dreamtime anyway, since it's geographically unsuitable, *and* I'm busted, *and* still working on the project that wouldn't die! ;)

Did I mention she wants the sliding glass kitchen/patio door replaced? :doh::doh::doh:

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Just for the sake of discussion. I am afraid its construction is not for big and unbalanced turning. It has only a single bearing on one end of the shaft. On heavy duty lathes, the spindles have at least two bearing supports.

For $200, I would look into upgrading the current lathe to lower speed.

Gordon,

I think you're right. I gave up on that project because I wanted to keep the reeves drive, and couldn't find a compatible motor with a long enough shaft (rotor?). Maybe I'll rethink it... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Larry,

Thanks for the offer, but Gordon's bearing argument is pretty convincing. I'm gonna have to pass on this.

Awhile back, Jeff Horton gave me an idea for a design based on pillow blocks. If I ever get some free time and some spare money, that's likely the winning design. Of course, that would be a lot easier if I had a welder... ;)

One thing after another... :doh:

Thanks,

Bill