Thumbs up for Sony service!

John Pollman

Christmas morning at 7:15 I was seriously bummed. My son starts opening gifts and my "new" digital camera starts malfunctioning. I bought it on April 29 and it's got a one year warranty on it. I had to mess around with it for a while but was able to take some pictures but it had a power on problem. I was furious at my luck. Of all the times you NEED a camera to work, Christmas morning has got to be NUMBER ONE! Well by about 8:00 gifts were open and I was still bummed. I figured that I'd log on to the Sony site and see if there were any local authorized repair centers. It turns out that there aren't any within 75 miles of me so it looked like I was going to be forced to ship it somewhere to get it taken care of. I figured that I'd be lucky to get it fixed and back by mid February. At about 8:00 on Christmas morning I entered the information and figured that I'd be very lucky if I heard anything back by the end of the week but more than likely it would be after the first of the year. I hit the submit button. About an hour later at 9:00 a.m. on Christmas morning I got an email with an "Event number" and instructions on how to file a warranty claim. I was very surprised by this so I figured I'd get it packaged up and out on Tuesday. So I did just that. I sent it UPS to Connecticut at about 11:00 on 12/26 and they estimated delivery on Friday 12/29. I checked the UPS tracking number and sure enough, just before 8:00 a.m. on Friday 12/29 it was delivered. I figured that it would sit there until after the first of the year and they may look at it the next week. Well here it is 10:30p.m. on 1/02 and just for fun I entered the event number into the repair center site and found that it was received on Friday, put into repair on that day and back out to shipping on 12/30! It's scheduled to be back to me on Friday 1/05! Now I don't know if they repaired the problem or just shipped me a new camera but either way as long as it works I'm happy. I think that's one heck of a good turn around time for warranty service on a digital camera.

If this one works without any more problems I think I'll seriously consider Sony next time I'm in the market for any electronics.

John

That's impressive, John. Much like you, I'd figure on at least a month to get warranty service on something like that.

John,
My new Sony camera is due today. I am going to use it for my business and hope it gets alot of use. It's good to know that I can get it serviced quickly.
Thanks for sharing.
Keith

i use an old mvc fd-95 that shoots onto floppys for all the pics i post here. it lives in the shop,(read sawdust!) and has for years......never a lick of trouble..tod

Update....

I'm very happy at this point. As I said earlier, I sent the camera in for service on 12/26/06. I got it back on 01/05/07! They replaced the main board, cleaned, and adjusted the camera. Everything seems fine at this point. I'm very impressed with a week and a half turn around time for a warranty repair on a $200 camera.

Way to go Sony.

John