Ridgid Spindle/ Belt sander EB 4424

Rich Aldrich

I have been saving birthday money and such for about 3 months and finally saved enough for the Ridgid Spindle/Belt Sander.

It was well packaged and easy to set up. I still need to do the fine tuning with the Wixey. I moved it off the bench and set it on the floor so I can finish another project. I need to make a permanent or semi permanent home for it. It really works well so far.

Attachments

• Ridgid EB 4424 -1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Ridgid EB 4424 -1 (600 x 450).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Ridgid EB 4424 -2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Ridgid EB 4424 -2 (600 x 450).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Ridgid EB 4424 -3 (600 x 450).jpg
    Ridgid EB 4424 -3 (600 x 450).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 36
Rich,
Be sure to use this with a shopvac for DC. Also once you have it set up and have a home for it you will use it on every project. You are going to find that this tool is some of the best money you have ever spent and the quality of your projects will improve.

Nice sander. I've been looking at those to replace my Delta BOSS unit. The Delta is OK I just like the bigger surface of the belt sander. Also how long does it take to switch over to just the spindle?

Loosen one screw (no tools reqd) 10sec
Take off spindle, spindle plate and ring and place into holder (attached to sander) 15 sec
Set belt attachment into place 10sec
Tighten screw (no tools reqd) 10 sec

Whole thing less than a minute easy.

Nice sander. I've been looking at those to replace my Delta BOSS unit. The Delta is OK I just like the bigger surface of the belt sander. Also how long does it take to switch over to just the spindle?

Royall,

These are nice units. Switchover takes a couple minutes, likely less than one if you're not as clumsy as I am... ;)

I pretty much keep mine set up with the belt sander. One complaint: the storage for the spindles is in the front of the machine. Very convenient... but the spindles are very attractive to four year olds. I am therefore missing a few... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I pretty much keep mine set up with the belt sander. One complaint: the storage for the spindles is in the front of the machine. Very convenient... but the spindles are very attractive to four year olds. I am therefore missing a few... ;)

Thanks,

Bill[/QUOTE]

Love mine also, use it all the time. Do set it up on its own stand for sure, with the spindles on the front, they can and do get knocked off easly. I keep mine on the floor because I have not made a stand yet, so every time I pick it up to use, all spindles ene up on the ground :p

Tom

Congrats, Rich. Let's see...so far you and I have matching bandsaws and spindle/belt senders. I guess it's too late for you to get a Ridgid tablesaw, so I'm guessing you'll be buying a Powermatic lathe next. :p

I love mine also. If you have a DC with 4" hose it works better than a shop vac. I turn the stop bracket for the belt sander straight back and tied the 4" hose of the DC to it. It gets a lot more of the dust that way.

I like that idea. I'll have to give it a try.

Congrats, Rich. Let's see...so far you and I have matching bandsaws and spindle/belt senders. I guess it's too late for you to get a Ridgid tablesaw, so I'm guessing you'll be buying a Powermatic lathe next. :p

I like that idea. I'll have to give it a try.

I do already have a Grizzly 1023 table saw, but the lathe is still in the running. I dont have one yet, but the thought is there. At this point, I don't know when I would have the time, but .. it is a tool :)... I dont have it yet :)... the bug is starting.:D:rofl:

I have one of these too. Very handy when needed. I put mine on a stand from some other tool (got the stand for free from a friend) and put it on a mobile base to wheel the sander out of the way when not being used.

I have one of these too. Very handy when needed. I put mine on a stand from some other tool (got the stand for free from a friend) and put it on a mobile base to wheel the sander out of the way when not being used.

Mark,

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. My workbench is too high to mount the sander.

If you get a chance, maybe you can post a picture of your set up.

Mark,

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. My workbench is too high to mount the sander.

If you get a chance, maybe you can post a picture of your set up.

Here you go!

stand.front.JPG

stand.front2.JPG

The perspective of these two pics seemed more different as I was taking them. In a perfect world, I'd like to have the sander table be at the same height as my RAS table (and work table). I still need to bolt the sander down to the plywood platform holding it up. I'm thinking short 1/4" lag bolts.

The ash bowl blank ballast is critical to minimizing vibration. The blanks may appear to be randomly placed, but, in actuality, their placement has been carefully planned to avoid any sort of harmonic amplification of vibrations. :dunno: You had to expect something, it is 01 April. :rofl:

The feature denoted with the black arrow is a 1/4"-20 bolt with one of those long nut thingees (I know, I shouldn't use such technical jargon on this site :rofl: ). With it in place I am able to use an extra inch of flat space on the belt by setting my miter gauge (LOL - my only miter gauge at the moment is the cheap plastic thing that came with my HF bandsaw) against the 1/4"-20 stop. Assuming that the tabletop of the sander is some sort of aluminum, this is my first successful tap job.