Seven drawer dresser

All right guys, it was time I should start a dresser I started to design in September 2006.

I will not reveal the design yet, and those of you who know it please do not give me away:)

It is going to be made out of mongoy and hard maple, frame and panel construction.
This are the first cuts to make the four main legs, as they are going to be aligned with the diagonals of the prism I needed to make these stop cuts at 45º on my band saw. Some of you may rememember me asking about the safest way of doing it.
On these pics you can see how I had to tilt my table and put the fence on the right side so that I could use gravity to work on my favour.
I had to cut all four legs on one side, then change the fence setting and cut the other four sides.
cal01.jpgcal02.jpgcal03.jpgcal06.jpg
The stop cuts came out pretty well, and to be honest I was scared of messing the whole thing up and having to buy new wood.
cal11.jpg

One funny thing happened when I was ripping those corners, on one of the pieces the waste warped upwards enormously. Things like this never happened to me before, I guess that the wood had some built in tension that made this happen.
cal10.jpg

Attachments

• cal09.jpg
    cal09.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
BTW - what is Mongoy?:huh:[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing Rennie, kind of looks like zebra wood.
Cool another project by Toni :D looking forward to whats to come :lurk:

Yes, that is some warp! BTW - what is Mongoy?:huh:

To be honest Rennie I have no idea about its english name, I've just made a search and the botanical name is "Guibourtia ehie" it is rather hard and heavy and has some white deposits that have to be removed with hot water, you can see them smeared by the cutting on the left hand side of the third pics.

hey rennie di yu notice that spot on his bench in pic five:huh::huh: wonder why he has a lighter piece of wood in that spot,, and that was definatly some tension in there toni... i have seen tha deposit kind of wood at jim niemi work place but i cant trember what he called it.. kinda looks like wenge to me but i am not quessin, jim will know:thumb: looks good and here i thought yu were waiting of rthem blades to do some resawing and now your making pen blanks with it.. not good:rofl:

hey rennie di yu notice that spot on his bench in pic five:huh::huh: wonder why he has a lighter piece of wood in that spot,, and that was definatly some tension in there toni... i have seen tha deposit kind of wood at jim niemi work place but i cant trember what he called it.. kinda looks like wenge to me but i am not quessin, jim will know:thumb: looks good and here i thought yu were waiting of rthem blades to do some resawing and now your making pen blanks with it.. not good:rofl:

Hi Larry.
It is not Wenge, where I bought it there was some Wenge and it is darker, without lighter grain veins.

And no, I'm not making pen blanks, but fashion toothpics:rofl::rofl:

And you know very well what that spot is on my bench, you noticed it first and now it is fixed.

Hi Larry.
It is not Wenge, where I bought it there was some Wenge and it is darker, without lighter grain veins.

And no, I'm not making pen blanks, but fashion toothpics:rofl::rofl:

And you know very well what that spot is on my bench, you noticed it first and now it is fixed.

oh now that you remind i vaguly remeber something awhile back on te bench story:rofl::D

Sounds like it's going to be another really neat project, Toni. I can't wait to see it progress along. I sure like the looks of that Mongoy. "Somewhere" I recall that name but can't remember from where, maybe when I lived in Europe and was on a trip in Africa.:huh: The wood looks familiar too. I just hate it when my memory fails me like this.:( Looks like that bandsaw is doing a real nice job for you.:thumb:

african mahogany is fun. the three tables i made for a coworker are made of it, and the figuring is just wild.

Attachments

• sct.jpg
    sct.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 31
  • set.jpg
    set.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 36
  • sst.jpg
    sst.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 40
I did a Google on Mongoy. It is Sapele (African Mahogany) I've got a bunch in the shop and it sure is pretty grained wood. No wonder Allen is making chairs out of it!:thumb:

Hi Royall

I'm sorry but I think that there is a lot of misinformation about wood on the net please have a look at this link: http://www.teismaderas.com/mongoyen.htm
it is also called Ovengkol http://www.rougier.fr/216.html?&L=1
and this one as well http://www.teismaderas.com/sapellen.htm.

Hope this helps

hmmm... Mongoy.... AKA Hyedua, Black Hyedua, Ovangkol, Amazoué, or Shedua. A tropical evergreen. Cool!

Here it is, growing:

4bac30735cc0960f8701b00d.jpg

IMG0069.gif

Milled:

bundel3.JPG

and finished:

example_shedua_2.jpg

Looks like there's substantial variation from tree to tree. Very nice. It's going away, so use it while you can... :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited: