Question on Granite tops

Drew Watson

Have been thinking of upgrading my saw and was down at a local tool store today with some reps there. Was looking at the steel city Cabinet saw with 3 hp and the granite top. 50.00 difference in the price between the cast and the granite. So started thinking what are the advantages and disadvantages and maybe someone here has some info to share on this issue.

1. The only things I would have to offer, (information only), is that Granite, once ground Flat, will STAY flat, where Cast Iron, can continue to stress relieve itself for many years and may or may not remain flat depending on the internal stresses it may or may not have from the casting/cooling process.

2. Magnetic hold downs/featherboards will not work on Granite, but will work on Cast Iron.

3. Granite WILL NOT Rust, and Cast Iron WILL.

That's my $.02:D

I don't have any first-hand experience with the granite tops, but from what I've read, here are a few pros and cons...

Pros:

• Won't rust
  • Dimensionally very stable -- should stay very flat
  • More mass for better vibration damping
Cons:

• Can't use magnetic accessories like featherboards or Board Buddies
  • More difficult to drill and tap holes in the edge for attachment of new fence rails and such
  • Potential to crack or break the table dropping something heavy on it
  • Potential to break out the miter slot if using a t-shaped miter bar and you lift or drop the miter gauge while removing it
I should stress that the last two items are only potential problems. Aside from one report I read from someone who saw a chipped table edge on a Steel City saw in a store, I don't know of anyone who has actually broken or seriously damaged a granite saw table.

Hey Andrew, so you're thinking of upgrading eh. I put an order in for something but not sure when it will come so I don't want to blab about it just yet. As for the granite question I think the pros and cons have been covered by the guys above. I will add though that any stress relief from cast iron is so minimal as to be negligible. IMO the biggest gain from granite is the non-rust surface.

Frank yu of all people should know that you never, ever set a cup of coffee on a table saw:) its just not RIGHT:eek: and besides cold coffee is good for some folk.

Last week when loml brought me my coffee,she was giong to set it on the ts when I hollered "don't you dare do that". I think I scared her half to death:eek:.

I don't mind cold coffee. I *do* mind rusty circles on my table top. I was a complete noob when I got my saw. It took me three or four circles to learn... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, I've always been a slow learner... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

[size=+1]Okay, I gotta ask - How'd you train her to do that?[/size] :D:D

oh thats simple jim,, first of all yu make something for them or promise to:) and if that doesnt work you get them, there dream toy:D:thumb: i have had lunch deliverd and supper too in the past.. maybe i am just lucky cuz we know i am not good..:D

[SIZE=+1]Nah, that ain't it! We've been married 43 years (come August), and it don't work that way for me... Must be the luck thing![/SIZE] :rofl: :rofl:

Jim, keep in mind this is Alan's wife...the same gal who buys him a SCMS for his birthday and insists he buys a new router every time they go to Woodcraft. :p

He oughta clone that lady. He could get rich selling them.
whistling.gif

Jim, keep in mind this is Alan's wife...the same gal who buys him a SCMS for his birthday and insists he buys a new router every time they go to Woodcraft. :p

He oughta clone that lady. He could get rich selling them.
whistling.gif

I just want to know "Which Hypnotist" he sent her to, 'cause that one is worth WHATEVER THEY CHARGED.:thumb:

Like Jim, I KNOW It's NOT The YEAR, 'cause we have our 48 th coming up Wednesday, and since she only likes Coffee if it's got Tia Maria in it, she hasn't even brewed a pot of coffee in at least 30 years, much less bring me a cup. :huh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just want to know "Which Hypnotist" he sent her to, 'cause that one is worth WHATEVER THEY CHARGED.:thumb:

Like Jim, I KNOW It's NOT The YEAR, 'cause we have our 48 th coming up Wednesday, and since she only likes Coffee if it's got Tia Maria in it, she hasn't even brewed a pot of coffee in at least 30 years, much less bring me a cup. :huh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I went ahead and did what I thought might be a stupid thing and ask her why she doesn't mind buying me these tools and she said that she likes to fix and help build things also:thumb:. She said she was never into shoes ,makeup or clothes. We are talking about a woman that will help me pull a moter from a car and help rebuild it.

Well back to the original programming. So whats the consensus on the granite top tablesaw:dunno:?

Alan, doing a search on the web here are some things I found in regards to your question. Not my opinion but others I found. I have no opinion because I know nothing! :rofl:

Advantages:
Wont rust, flatter, heavier, smoother, no "curing" period required.

Disadvantage;
Not being able to use the magnetic feather boards.
Can chip, then what do you do?
More prone to breakage, heavier

One person wrote; "Granite has too many variables in the stone and imperfections might create problems. Granite is a good choice as is marble but I do think for a table saw steel is a far better choice."

Another stated; "granite seems to the latest marketing gimmick.
Ridgid seems to be following that path too"

Hope this helps;
Mark

Last edited:
I found out some interesting things about Granite today. I am doing a small asbestos removale job at a local school ( one of the many wonderful jobs that I am trained to do) and was having a chat with the fellow that is doing our air sampling. We were talking about the off gassing that is common in everyhouse hold with all the synthetics that are present in our homes just as asbestos was at one time used in lots of our homes espesialy in vermiculite insulation. I mentioned about the glue in the K3 and melemine kitchens and he mentioned to me about the granite counter tops and what they off gas. I was surprised as I didn't know granite off gassed, Radon gas ( radioacive gas) and the major cause of lung cancer. The granite that comes from South America has a lot more than we get from local Granite but still the radon is present in higher concentrations in granite over any other stone used in home construction. That would include Saw tops and he was surprised that they would be using it in that fashion ( obviously not a wood worker). So that was a big shock and one big strike against any thought of a granite top in counters or saws for me.

That is interesting Drew, I too would have never thought of that :huh:

One thing that occurred to me, I wonder if you got the granite top wet somehow, if it froze, would it, or could it crack?

For me, while I like the whole "New Idea" thing, I'd stick to the tried and true cast iron. :dunno:

...One thing that occurred to me, I wonder if you got the granite top wet somehow, if it froze, would it, or could it crack?

For me, while I like the whole "New Idea" thing, I'd stick to the tried and true cast iron. :dunno:

If granite behaves the way concrete does, then I don't think there would be any danger from freezing it wet unless there were pores in it that water could penetrate. I don't think a polished granite surface would have any problem with pores big enough to hold water.

I'd love to field test a granite-topped tablesaw or bandsaw for a year or so. I also like the idea of a granite jointer fence.