A trio of eggs

Dewey Torres

During my quest to be a better turner I found that one of the most difficult thing to turn are eggs. Seeing that it "tis the season" and the fact that I love a challenge led me to try a few. They were not easy and they are not perfect but I turned:
A solid
A hollow
And a kaleidoscope.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 100_1189.JPG
    100_1189.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_1190.JPG
    100_1190.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_1191.JPG
    100_1191.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_1192.JPG
    100_1192.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 42
Very nice work, Dewey. C'mon, you can tell the truth...you've actually been turning longer than just a few weeks, right? :p

Hey Dewey,
I just looked at your profile and it says you are active duty US Navy. Whats a navy man doing in Colorado Springs? Or is that just the home town. When I was in the navy back probably before you were born, I served on a DER out of Treasure Island. We were part of the Air Early Warning system for SAC. Part of our flotilla was made up of YGR's the old "liberty" ships from WWII. I was never on board one, but I heard they had full blown wood shops for the crew as recreation... and rumor had it that one of the officer's was building a sail boat on board in his spare time. Because they were larger, they mostly worked the northern stations where the seas tended to be a little rougher, so he may have been making sure he had a life boat in case of problems??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, my first thoughts were... Navy in Colorado Springs.. that's as bad as when I was doing ocean freight forwarding out of Tucson.:D

BTW, I'm thinking that Vaughn may be on to something... you're a ringer! :rofl:
Those are really nice eggs.

Wonderful job Dewey. So did you use the same technique as the link in Brent's thread?

Too bad I sold my lathe, I see an egg swap coming on...

I used these plus a book my Dick Sing:
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/eggs.html

Great looking eggs Dewey. I have the hardest times with them.
Bernie,
That is why I tried them. I figure if I try all the hard stuff I can do most anything. They are not consistent so I met my match but they do look like eggs so it was a good drill.

Hey Dewey,
I just looked at your profile and it says you are active duty US Navy. Whats a navy man doing in Colorado Springs? Or is that just the home town. When I was in the navy back probably before you were born, I served on a DER out of Treasure Island. We were part of the Air Early Warning system for SAC. Part of our flotilla was made up of YGR's the old "liberty" ships from WWII. I was never on board one, but I heard they had full blown wood shops for the crew as recreation... and rumor had it that one of the officer's was building a sail boat on board in his spare time. Because they were larger, they mostly worked the northern stations where the seas tended to be a little rougher, so he may have been making sure he had a life boat in case of problems??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, my first thoughts were... Navy in Colorado Springs.. that's as bad as when I was doing ocean freight forwarding out of Tucson.:D

BTW, I'm thinking that Vaughn may be on to something... you're a ringer! :rofl:
Those are really nice eggs.

I am a Command Senior Chief for JFCC-IMD. My command does ballistic Missie defense here in CO. I used to be an EW so I already had missile defense background. That is how I wound up here. We shot that spy satellite down last year if you remember that.

I am a Command Senior Chief for JFCC-IMD. My command does ballistic Missie defense here in CO. I used to be an EW so I already had missile defense background. That is how I wound up here. We shot that spy satellite down last year if you remember that.

Is that anything like the old "Fire Control Tech"?.. We had 2 guns on the DER that were 5"38's.. that were supposed to be fired electronically by the FCT's... in an exercise off San Clemente we shot at the island all afternoon and never hit the island.... they finally let the gunners mate second fire once and he was dead on target.

Apologize for hijacking your post... just an old salt telling sea stories LOL

Last edited: