Hawaii report

Frank Fusco

I'll try to keep this short, it could be a long report. Saw a lot and had many lifetime 'first' experiences. We spent the whole week, except for our last day before flying out, on the island of Kauai. I think it is pronounced ka-wa-ee. My wife is always complaining that I pronounce it 'cowie'. Oh, well. Beautiful island, much to see and do. Major impressions of Hawaii: pretty girls, expensive, very-very expensive, beautiful scenery, friendly and courteous people. I really appreciated the courtesy and friendliness of everyone everywhere. There was a small town/family attitude wherever we went. Unexpectedly, it was also refreshing to see a lot of young people. As much as I love all my retiree friends, the energy of youth is not to be seen where I live. From the pictures I posted at Flickr you can see we visited the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. This was on our day out before flying home. Personally, the trip would not have been complete for me if we had not visited this sacred spot. I have only been to one other place that so moved me. That was Gettysburg battlefield.
We took a boat ride along the Napalli coast of Kauai and actually saw dolphins and whales. The scenery is indescribably spectacular. I highly recommend this trip if any of you ever visit this island. It is a must. You will note from one photo, we had a very skilled captain. :rolleyes:
We also went to the Smith family luau. I mention the name because if you ever visit there, this is the one we recommend. Even though it is obviously geared to attract the tourist crowd, it is a quality event. The grounds are a 31 acre garden that is worth the visit by itself. Food was great and the show both entertaining and educational. (I can hear the comments now about the 'educational' part. Oh, well. ;) )
As for the expense, well Hawaii is, I guess you could say, in a permanent state of inflation. We were told the poverty level for a family of four is $45,000.00 a year and many people don't earn anywhere near that. We did see what could be called an underclass of folks scraping for extra income any way they could. All were hard workers trying to offer something in an attempt to earn extra income. No beggars or anything like that were noted. Examples of prices: hard to buy a lunch for two under $40.00; eggs almost $7.00 a dozen; two lithium AA batteries $10.00 compared to $8.00 for four here; gasoline about $1.00 a gallon higher than mainland, etc.
I really liked the people, especially the pretty girls who came in a variety of skin shades and ethnic mixes. Standard day clothes were often just bikinis. I really hated that. :rolleyes:
OK, some woodworking/turning content. Saw a turner at a farmers market. Bowls were nice. A couple were so thin and delicate I was really impressed. Those were Norfork pine. Found a shop that had many nice items made by the owners. They know about guys like us and have wood on hand to sell as well as made-up boxes for shipment. All of their wood is Koa. I bought a $12.95 flat rate box (he charges only $10.00 for shipping) of wood. It should arrive later today with our held mail.
This was the Koa Store, check it out at: www.thekoastore.com
Another store we stopped in was at the end of a long, rural dirt road. The owner didn't stay in the store, it was strictly on an honor system. He makes his stuff from found wood in the forests. All is very creative. To me, it looks like he releases the sculpture, or table, or whatever that is hidden inside. The store is on the honor system. He has a box for payment. You buy a $5,000.00 sculpture, drop a check in the box and take the piece. What passes for his workshop is open. I looked in. He has a 15" planer, a drill press, bandsaw and few other things, nuttin' fancy at all. I walked around his property looking for a bandmill. None in sight. Then I spotted one of those rigs that use a chainsaw for making planks. Didn't look like it was capable of making very long planks or slabs but he had some stuff that was more than 8' long. Dunno how he did it. You can check him out at Hawaiian Hardwood
www.hawaiianhardwoods.com
I'll wind this up now. As much as I/we enjoyed the trip, my biggest joy is from the fact that my son has achieved success to where he, and his wife, were able to do this for us.
My pictures (over 400) are posted publicly, for now, at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31722197@N00/

Frank, Your quite the photographer (but not the photographee, not one picture of you). Some beautiful scenery, and looks like it was a good time had by all. Thanks for sharing, hoping to get over there myself sometime soon.

Sounds like a great trip, Frank. :thumb: Thanks for the report. I'll check out the pictures when I have a few moments (or about 400 moments) to browse through them.

couple more Hawaii impressions

I'm not meaning to drag this out.....or maybe I am....:rolleyes:
Just a couple more impressions of Hawaii, and, in particular, one of Kauai that you might enjoy.
Tatoos. Yep, lots of folks have tatoos. Of course, being warm here and bathing suits being standard dress, more skin shows than in many other places. Traditional Polynesian tatoos are very prevalent. Interestingly, they didn't look out of place and, IMHO, all were very tasteful.
Chickens. Did he say chickens? :eek:
Yep, he said chickens. The island of Kauai has them everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. They are colorful birds. Story is that the Phillipinos, who love to do cock fighting, brought them there and raised them. Then a couple big hurricanes in the last 25 years, blew them around and the island ended up with a feral chicken population. There are no predatory animals on the island so the chickens just live and multipy. They are in the woods, roadsides, parks, shopping areas, yards, everywhere.

OK, I'm taking advantage. Last trip brag unless asked.
Photo of Kauai chicken below.
And, finally, a woodworking related thing. This is a picture of a Gum tree. Many colored on outside. I have no idea what the wood looks like.
Finally, I said we took a boat ride. Photo is of our ship captain expertly guiding the vessel.

Attachments

• gum tree.jpg
    gum tree.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 16
  • ship captain.jpg
    ship captain.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Kauai chicken.jpg
    Kauai chicken.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 14
So Frank...where'd you have them put your rooster tattoo? It it only visible when you're wearing the Speedo? :p

The gum tree bark looks similar to some of the eucalyptus species we have out here in California, although I've not seen any with that many colors in the bark. (It's my understanding that the trees we call "gum" trees are various eucalypts.)

Thanks again for the posts. Looks like it was a wonderful trip. :thumb:

I think everybody has tattoos here on the big island even yours truly:D Some people do get a bit carried away with them and look like a walking art gallery! If you are very unlucky you will live next to someone that raises fighting cocks. The noise is horrendous and at all hours of the day and night:( What you called a gum tree is called a rainbow eucalyptus on this island. I got some starts from a guy but they didn't make it. Kinda glad they didn't grow as they are very messy tree and will take over a yard very quickly. And speaking of trees, I saw a Jakaranda that has started to bloom. I'll try to stop when it is in full bloom and see if I can get photo that will do the color justice. Glad you had a good time Frank. Hope you make it back soon. We need the tourist money:D Next time come to the Big Island and I'll buy you beverage of your choice and talk shop!!

Last edited:
Frank,
Thanks for the pictures of the Arizona... last time I was in HNL was about 34 years ago with the first wife and family. My kids were both under 12 at the time, so they wouldn't allow us to go onto the memorial... very disappointed that I missed it.

I've been on Oahu and Hawaii, but never made the other islands. I have a cousin that's lived in Hawaii since she was a hippy in the late 60's... she married her first husband in a field in the woods around SF, then they moved to Maui. She grew out of being a hippy and he didn't.... she's now married to a contractor guy over there. He's a Chuck too, but can't remember his last name.

You can find him if you dig a little ;)

Well, y'all are gluttons for ugly. Here are a couple shots proving I was there.First, is me squinting into sun at Waimea Canyon.
Second, is the entire family. G'daughter, DIL, twin g'son 1, son, wife, g'son 2, me.

Attachments

• Dad at Wiamea.jpg
    Dad at Wiamea.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 11
  • family in Hawaii.jpg
    family in Hawaii.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 10