Started moving in...

... a little at a time.* Trying to get the small stuff out of the old shop* so I can get the big things out without tripping over it.* So here is the beginning of my new small (18x21), crooked, and humble shop.* :eek:Some of the things aren't where they'll end up, but just sitting there for now.* Dust collector is where it will be.* The compressor will be in the corner where the ladder is by the electric panel.* Edge sander will stay on that long wall, but probably more toward the middle.* I've just about decided to sit the table saw right in the middle, or at least far enough off the right wall (the wall with the edge sander) that I can walk by it comfortably.* I have a JET 18" bandsaw that's currently wired 115v, so it can go anywhere.* Jointer is also wired 115v and I haven't decided on that yet.* Powermatic mortiser will probably go on the long wall with the edge sander.* JET 1442 lathe I think will go on the short wall by the door, opposite the tall wall cabinet.* I have short cabinets to go above over that.* Table with the planer is now wheeled, as will be the table with the 16/32 sander.* I'll 'park' them somewhere when not in use, but I'm not sure where.* I really need the tablesaw sitting in place to finalize things.* I know a lot of folks have less space than this, but I'm cutting back quite a bit from the old shop (roughly half).* Anyhoo... it is what it as, and next Saturday the electrician will make me hot.* :thumb:

newshop7.JPG

newshop8.JPG

newshop9.JPG

newshop10.JPG

Last edited:
What a wonderful and exciting time; populating a new space. Where are your wall cleats? Now that Ive gone that route I can't imagine going back to a fixed system.

I am sure jealous of your wood rack. I need a step ladder to get to all but the bottom row on mine ;-) The only place I had to go, was up!

Why is it we all love shop tours and moves so much!?! Thanks for taking us along on the journey.

Last edited:
What a wonderful and exciting time; populating a new space. Where are your wall cleats? Now that Ive gone that route I can't imagine going back to a fixed system.

If you're talking about where the wood is, those are just the heavy shelf standards and brackets from the BORG. I have a 2x4 running the perimeter of the building midway between the steel uprights... then 2x4 'on face' every 24" from floor to ceiling. I used sheetrock for the walls because I'm cheap, and I don't like the look of painted OSB (which woulda been about the same cost). :dunno:

You're making Good Progress.:thumb: Is that a table base Frame you've got going there, (the Mesquite one)? Looks like you've got a few chair back pieces cut also, (the curved pieces on the wood rack)??? Hope I can get healthy enough to get back on mine soon. Been shut down for 6 weeks now.:bang::bang::bang:

Looking good, Kirk. Always nice to start with a clean slate and get things set up in a new configuration. :thumb:

If you're talking about where the wood is, those are just the heavy shelf standards and brackets from the BORG...

I think he's referring to French cleats. They can be used to hang everything from cabinets to shelves and tool racks, and things are easy to rearrange down the road. Maybe Glenn has some pics of them in action. Here's a video showing the general idea, although in a shop some guys run a cleat along one or more lengths of wall, so they can move cabinets and other things to different locations on the wall as their needs change.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/French_Cleat_Video.shtml

looks good kirk,, even got a partially constructed project in there already:thumb: i havnt got the french cleats yet, but have them on my to do list.. they are a good way to change things and yet still have a strong support for them anywhere on the wall.. looks like its goon be nice and bright in there as well:thumb:

Is that a table base Frame you've got going there, (the Mesquite one)? Looks like you've got a few chair back pieces cut also, (the curved pieces on the wood rack)??? ..

Table base is cherry. I started that immediately after the 2005 Mesquite Festival. What you see in the pic is exactly how it looked in early November 2005. :rolleyes:

I just can't bring myself to throw out those curved scraps. I have a couple ideas for them... just need to make time.

Congrats Kirk on the new shop and good luck with the move. You and i have something in common we both have shops that are 18x21.

I will be watching how you sort yours out. I found out quickly just how space seems to evaporate.

Hey Glenn I agree with you on the french cleats. I just finished my sandpaper storage and hung that up and last weekend put up some storage jars on a board.

I too had initially not considered this idea but after seeing some guys shop in Quebec in a woodworking magazine making full use of this concept i revisited it and am real happy I did.

Kirk you sure you going to have space for two router tables???

I see you have a bunch of equipment that i dont have and I dont know where I would put them if I did. Dont see a bandsaw or a drill stand yet they surely have to be in there someplace and then what about a lathe?

Table base is cherry. I started that immediately after the 2005 Mesquite Festival. What you see in the pic is exactly how it looked in early November 2005. :rolleyes:

I just can't bring myself to throw out those curved scraps. I have a couple ideas for them... just need to make time.

I can't really tell how large they are from the pics, but maybe they're large enough that you could cut a matching curve on the other side and use them as the top rail on a chair back for Little Kids. I know that should be a Good Seller to "Doting" Grandparents, (Who've ALWAYS got money to spend on the Grandkids).:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I sure understand not throwing them away. I have trouble throwing ANY scraps away, but I inherited THAT Trait from my Dad.:D

Kirk,

Wow, what an opportunity to start organized :thumb: and to be able to get rid of the "I can use this for something someday" junk.:D

I built my shop, then started buying tools. This is cause for many rearrangements. I did not think I would end up with all the tools I have which caused extra rearrangements. However, this made the opportunity to get rid of the junk - it just isnt as thorough.

Excellent looking shop.

Maybe Glenn has some pics of them in action.

Here's one of my walls just for clarity. All methods are not for all shops but this is one method I tried after hearing others talk about and it has worked out very well for me. If you need to adjust your space to accommodate a project, you just grab the fixtures that are in the way and move them to another wall.

kirk dont let the time frame hold you away from that table!!! your not the first one that got a good start and had something else come up..and if the intended recipient is not interested any more, i am sure another is out there waiting for it.. your mind telling you to save it is smarter than the part sayin not to..just think if you got back after it in yourt new shop yu could say see its the first project of many more to come from your new shop..:D:thumb: