Vise Anti-Racking Device

glenn bradley

A gentleman on another forum mentioned this as an idea but hadn't tried it out yet. It sounded good to me so I gave it a try.

Clamping on one side of the jaw can cause racking :(

vise-anti-rack-002.jpg

Enter the A.R.D. (Anti Racking Device :rolleyes:)

vise-anti-rack-004.jpg

Versatile too :thumb:

vise-anti-rack-005.jpg

Just a 1/4" dowel with some 1/8" luan scrap pieces on it. Size your dowel to allow the unused pieces to clear the vise jaw. I drilled 1/4" hole in the end of a 1/2" dowel, cut off a couple "donuts" and glued them on as keepers.

Hey Glenn, I use anti racking blocks, about a half dozen of them, each gives two sizes. Yours is way more efficient, and also elegant. I'm going to make one soon. What a great idea. Thanks.

Thanks Glen! I love home grown solutions!

Hey Glenn, I use anti racking blocks, about a half dozen of them, each gives two sizes. Yours is way more efficient, and also elegant. I'm going to make one soon. What a great idea. Thanks.

Once again, a guy over on another forum mentioned putting "blocks on a dowel". I just interpreted his idea. I used to use a stair-stepped block but it is large and awkward. I might recommend a 3/8" dowel; the 1/4" works fine but feels a bit delicate. Time will tell.

At worst, you'll have 1/8" disagreement between your ARD and stock. Is it worthwhile to add a 1/8" thick piece at one of the ends of the ARD or is 1/8" disagreement an acceptable racking distance?