IE 8 wadda mess

Frank Fusco

:( I believe it is important to stay current with certain things on my computer. My browser is one of those. Yesterday, I downloaded the new IE 8. And wadda mess. Pop up messages by the score, one every couple seconds. Somehow, I am no longer compatible with my HP printer and will have to crawl through the fires of hades to fix. I have toolbars I don't want, and much more. This is with less than one hour time on the 'puter this a.m. I have no idea what horrible discoveries lie ahead for me. And, please don't recommend Foxfire. Tried it, did not like at all.

ok frank,, as nicely as yu can tell us what yu didnt like about firefox??? and perhaps those that like it can work yu threw it ,,to get you back on track again. sometimes when yu up grade to new software yu are able to import your old prefernces.. have yu seen that come up in your travels in IE 8?

IE8 is a very resource heavy application.
You may not like any Web browser.
Step back from the machine.

Wise words. But, these days, stepping back from a computer is stepping back from modern life.
BTW, I do on occasion. Two hundred year old style canvas tent, buckskin clothes, cook over open fire, sometimes even shoot my own food with a flintlock rifle, etc.
But, I'll get it tamed. Always do. The grumbling part up front is part of the process.
Larry, I ferget what it was about Firefox I didn't like. I have deleted those details from my memory bank. ;) But, I did use for about three months and went back to IE.

Frank did a search and found this web site on Microsoft called "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Here is a site that covers Other things to try if you don't want to uninstall.

http://blogs.technet.com/fixit4me/archive/2009/03/18/uninstall-internet-explorer-8-fix-it-live.aspx

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks, I'll take a look at the fixit. Got most of the gremlins whipped, just one biggie left to conquer.

Being "Computer Stupid" I always HATE having to figure out how to operate a new system when my Computer Guru makes updates. I started with Netscape, which I REALLY liked, (and have found every thing since Lacking in some respect), as I have progressed through the IE's thru #7, and am on Firefox now (which is fair, but none "Except" Netscape would let me just print what's on the screen with a somple click, AND somewhere in the process it lost the ability for my hp 990 cse printer to print on both sides of the paper. I have searched many times through the hp stuff to find the patch that will get it to recognize that ability, but to no avail.:bang::bang::bang::mad::mad::mad:

I'm still using IE6 when I loaded IE7 I ended up having to do a reinstall of the OS so never tried again. Sounds like IE8 is no better and I like you Frank don't care for Firefox. I am using AT&T Yahoos browser which is IE with a different face and adds.
Jay

I run IE6 on my work machine, just to be compatible with my clients that can't get upgraded.

Personally, I love the tabbed browsing that either IE7 or Firefox brings to the table, but for I don't really have much of a preference. I use Firefox most of the time just because it presents fewer security risks than IE, but then again, sometimes there are those websites that weren't written to be 100% compatible with anything but IE. I know I'm guilty of putting a few of those together... :D

I say use what you are comfortable with. My only problem with the different browsers is that they all seem to render the code I write somewhat differently, and that's what really annoys me....

Personaly I like IE8 Better than IE7 because it is easier to do a search for something:thumb:. Just highlight what you want to look up, click on the arrow that appears and pick how you want to search:D. I do it here all the time when tools are listed here without links. I even used the translator when Stu posted the page in the aparto thread about the van to read it.

Have you tried >> Safari for Windows <<

I really do not like IE, I have IE7 on the windoze computers, just because a few sites that my kids like use only IE7 for some online content, Each time after they use IE7 I run the various anti-trojan and spyware software I have and they ALWAYS find a bunch of stuff :doh:

I really like Firefox, but I'm using Safari on the Mac Mini, and find it is very good as well.
:wave:

I believe that as things computer-wise advance, we should try to keep up. After all, Gates, Inc. pretty much invented most of what we use. That gives a degree of confidence. If I didn't keep up, I would still be using Windows 3.11 which is where I was with my first computer. And, it was an advance many cussed as they didn't like DOS being replaced.
I'm sure the bugs I'm experiencing with IE8 will be worked out. If I understood the error messages, I could fix them (maybe).
Today is a busy day for me, later I might ask for some help.

beg to differ

Now Frank, A couple 'O points; IE = internet exploder - that's what Linux folks call it............Firefox continues to be updated, you might want to take another look.........(O.K. I'm ducking, don't want to catch a lead pill) .....:D

Lastly, It's true that Gates got the ball rolling, but he didn't invent a lot of what he now owns- he stole it. Remember the lawsuits? It's tough to beat a billionaire in court.

I use ubuntu and firefox for 99% of the time. I have XP for the few times I need to use something proprietary like taxes and autoCAD.