table saw insert

Making the desk I'm showing on flat work I needed a new table saw insert for the cove cutter--also could use a new dado insert--there is a Japanese saying----when making the ax handle you hold the pattern in your hand-of course the meaning being that you cut out the replacement ax handle with an ax------
same thing use an old insert ---this is the one that came with the saw-find a good piece of wood plane it to the right thickness--you could plane it thiner and use leveling screws-I like to just plane them to the right thickness--mark out the new insert --cut out-stay on the outside of the pencil line-
DSCF0001-43.jpg

DSCF0004-36.jpg

one of the many use of turners tape-(it's after four)--
DSCF0007-35.jpg

stick the pattern to the cut-out----I like to put them in the vise-
DSCF0009-28.jpg

DSCF0010-24.jpg

use a straight bit with a bearing and a router table----
DSCF0012-15.jpg

useing an old wood insert for the pattern
DSCF0016-9.jpg

DSCF0021-8.jpg

since there is a bearing on the bit you don't really need the fence--though useing it you can keep the piece from getting away---
DSCF0023-11.jpg

I take a hand sander and slightly bevel the edge-wipe on oil wax mix--and it's ready to go-
DSCF0026-9.jpg

alex

Last edited:
I think I know what it is, It's a pushstone, it has the advantage over the push sticks that the saw blade can't bite on it, so it lasts for ever!!:rofl::rofl:

and if there are some mails portruding on the wood it can be used to smash them down....:rolleyes:

I think I know what it is, It's a pushstone, it has the advantage over the push sticks that the saw blade can't bite on it, so it lasts for ever!!:rofl::rofl:

and if there are some mails protruding on the wood it can be used to smash them down....:rolleyes:

So Toni would that be as in going postal or knight's? in any case wouldn't that be a bit difficult? But then who knows what the powers of the stone may be.:eek::huh::):D:thumb::rofl:

I think I'll just give up, Alex is using Fiddle Back Maple for table saw inserts :eek:

Nice tutorial Alex, and I VERY much like you taste in beer, minus the lime :D :thumb:

So Toni would that be as in going postal or knight's? in any case wouldn't that be a bit difficult? But then who knows what the powers of the stone may be.:eek::huh::):D:thumb::rofl:

Touchè Bart, I meant NAILS not mails but I agree who knows what the powers of the stone may be.

Moreover, I've seen (on movies) some people being blackmailed by throwing a message wraped on a stone through their windows:rofl:

But with all this disgression we still do not know what on earth that stone is used for:(

Touchè Bart, I meant NAILS not mails but I agree who knows what the powers of the stone may be.

Moreover, I've seen (on movies) some people being blackmailed by throwing a message wraped on a stone through their windows:rofl:

But with all this disgression we still do not know what on earth that stone is used for:(

Toni, do a search for posts by Alex. A few months back he mentioned what the stones were for. All I can think of right now is the were some kind of safety reminder when he went to use one of his tools. Good luck!

OK-the stones do nothing but sit there --think of them like a rabbits foot--that stone on the little saw I think I picked up along a river in california--each came from someplace that I was - reached down and picked it up--they just sit on there saw (also on the jointers) of course I have to move them depending on what I'm doing-but by now that's become second nature --now and then I'll touch one before I turn on the machine might even pick it up and hold it---- it's worked so far---just think baseball.

alex